t o r m e n t

s h a t t e r e d h e a r t s

c h a p t e r 4

The next day was even harder, if that is even possible. My eyelids felt so heavy that I could barely even open them. If it were not for the consciousness in my brain, I would have thought that I was actually dead. It would have been sol much better because the pain that wakes me up is far too great. It has me on the pyre where my body is burning by the raging flame of the fire, and yet my body doles not burn at the same time. The intense pain can be felt as the fire burns me, but no marks are left behind and nothing to prove that the fire is licking me.

Except for the agonizing pain that runs through my bloodstream. I can feel it with each breath that I take and each time my heart beats. When my eyes are prided open the light is the first thing that I see, and for this split-second I wished that it was the light that was here to take me away from this pain. Yet, that is not the case when I hear the Ariana Grande music coming from my sister's side of the room.

My eyes travel over to her to see a sight that I don't think that I have ever seen before. Katherine is sitting on her bed wide awake instead of her usual sleeping position (and falling in love with her bed all over again) under her covers. She's writing something down in a notebook while she's humming to the song that is on her phone. The sound is low, but it can be heard. Every so often she would dance a bit before she continues to write.

This confuses me because Katherine is the one that would stay in bed until she would be forced to get up and even then she would do all that she can to stay in bed and sleep for as long as she can. It is usually I that is up before her, and it is I that is with glee on my face in the morning while she would be sour. The roles now have switched. The more I watch her the more I can see that she is acting the way that I would normally do it, it's slight changes such as how I would bite my pencil when I'm writing which Katherine has cringed every time that I do.

She would say that she did not like it, and sometimes she even took my pencil away from me whenever I did that. I suppose she found it irritating but while doing so she has actually helped me from a terrible habit. It isn't healthy for the teeth to continuously bite on the pencil or anything that isn't edible. I nearly scoff when I can almost hear Nik's voice in my head about how I should not be doing this but at the same time he liked my face. Said that I was so focused that he found it adorable.

Another noticeable change in Katherine is how she is leaning in this like hunchback position while she sits on the bed, when she would normally be sitting with her back straight because she did not want to end up like some old dude that she saw in a cartoon when we were children. Perhaps this means nothing but there is s small voice inside me that tells me that this means something, only I don't know what.

The pain strikes me again which forces me to send out a low, rasp wince. My voice did not sound like my own when I did that, and I know why. The Wolf that is inside me is dying, and it is happening much faster than I thought. I may not have many weeks or even days left. It would appear that this is happening quicker than I had expected, in truth I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing or even both, I have not decided yet.

Katherine is quick to stand up and run over to me. "In the name of the Fates, are you all right?" He asks me, there is this cheerful tone mixed with the worried one. Making me wonder why Katherine of all people is so cheerful in the morning. As much as I want to ask, I neither have the energy to even open my mouth to speak nor do I feel like I want to know. I feel like I don't want to know the happiness of others because it reminds me that I can never be happy again.