e x c r u c i a t i o n

s h a t t e r e d h e a r t s

c h a p t e r 8

I wake up during the night with a start. This cold sweat travels down my body as I shiver, and yet I find that I'm not that cold at all. I'm quick to sit up as I ignore the pain that has been plaguing me this whole time. I can't remember if I had a bad dream, not if something has happened to me. The last thing that I can recall is falling asleep after my father had given me something to eat. I ate a little, a couple of bites and then nothing. I'm gone and now I've woken up.

Looking around the room for a bit and while the room is dark, it is bright enough for me to see the shapes of things and identify a couple of things. Of course, I'm not that insane that I can name every single object that I have in my room. I do of course share a bedroom with my twin sister. I look over at Katherine's bed to see that her covers are throw aside, and she's not sleeping in it. That is strange to me as normally Katherine would be the one that would be asleep all night and do whatever she can to keep herself sleeping.

She loves it and now she's not there. I take a couple of breaths as there is this strange feeling running through my body. What goes through my head is that I might be dying. This might be the moment that I move from this world. I do not see death and I suppose I won't ever see him unless he holds my hand and reveals himself for me. That way I know for a fact that I would be dead. My breathing is quick, as if no air is able to run through my lungs after having run a marathon of some sort.

Given that I've not even left this bed since yesterday it's unlikely that it is because I had gone running, and even if I were to have gone out here, I would not have been able to shift. To feel the Wolf inside me run free. Instead, I have a dead Wolf and I will never be able to shift again. It's the price that I have to pay for the choices that I've made. As I sit there and try to control my breathing, I hear something in the room beside mine.

Nik's room. I stop for a moment and listen for a bit. The walls are quite thin and while words can't be heard there is this sense of echo that can be heard. Voices but not words. I look at the clock to see that it's about three in the morning. Why would Nik be awake in the middle of the night? Why would anyone? I know why I'm awake, but why is he? This is the moment that I would have run into his room and lied beside him and asked him what was bothering him and why he were awake.

Then he would tell me before his arms would wrap around me and in each other's arms we would fall asleep. There weren't that many times that we did that, but there came nights or two. Nik has always had this pressure on him, because he's the future Alpha and is going to be responsible for so many people and Wolves. It's a lot to take in, especially for him. He's rather sensitive at times, and when he allows himself too, he will feel harsh emotions and cry with this sadness that has him trapped. When he cries, I've always been there for him.

If he were awake now and if he were crying, then this is the first time that I've not been there for him when he needed me. If he needs me now then I have to go over to him. Despite the pain that my body goes through, I know that he will forever be my Mate. Rejected or not, he's my Mate. Even if he doesn't want me as his Mate, but that is what I will be, and I will do what a good Mate and if not Mate then friend for Nik will always be my best friend.

Pain and death will not take that away from me. I hope that he knows that too. That we are best friends and no one and nothing can ever change that. Slowly I remove the covers off my body. I slightly hiss when a wave of massive pain tries to strike me down. As if I have been shot by a bullet. It has entered my body with a speed that it has me pinned down. But, I fight against the pain and I fight against the laws of everything just to stand. And when I do stand on my feet, I breathe in.