d e s p a i r

s h a t t e r e d  h e a r t s

c h a p t e r  30

Through the window of our bedroom, I watch the outside world. It's growing darker with each passing second and I wonder what is out there. Somehow I can feel within me that there is something dark out there perhaps because I have been told that there is an army out there that is eager to take us all down. "I don't know who has it in for us" Sam admits to me as he walks over to me and stands beside me. I don't look over to him. Our window is turned away from the city and in the other direction.

The distance is very long and I have no idea what is even out there. The clouds in the sky that cover the night sky make it seem even darker than it should be out there. And I can't see if that army is coming. I don't even know how an army looks like. I've never seen one. Sam takes a hold of my hand and makes me turn around to be facing him. "Hey, don't worry about a thing. We're safe here. No one has ever breached through those walls and no one ever will. Our army is strong" Sam tells me.

He's trying to make me feel better. I'm not sure how it's working. We have an army? I never knew that. Then again I've only been here for a couple of days and I'm far from learning everything that this place has. I didn't know that this castle had an army but it makes sense that we have one. In moments such as this, an army is needed. Yet, at the same time I don't want anyone to die for me, too many have already died already and I can't handle any more death, I just can't.

Sam puts his hand under my chin and makes me look deep into his eyes. They are soft and gentle and they are able to make me forget, though not for a very long time when he speaks his next words. "Soon, you will be taken to the safest place in the castle along with all the women and children. You will be safe there, safe and sound" He tells me. I shake my head. "What about you?" I ask him. It feels unfair that I have to cower in safety while people are out there dying for me.

He gives me a sad smile. "I will be out there, someone has to control the army and lead them to victory if it comes down to it. Whoever our enemy is, they will fall before dawn. That I know. I will do anything to keep you safe. Even battle the entire world. Just the thought of you safe makes my heart warm up and it makes the peace come to me. Tatianna, if anything were to happen to you... I don't know what I would do" He whispers softly to me, with his words filled with love and fear.

I stare deep into his eyes as mine start to become wet again. I don't know how much I have cried, but my eyes hurt each time that they grow wet and when the tears form, I feel pain. Perhaps because I cried all the tears that I had inside me and I don't have any more. "What about you? I just found you, I'm not going to lose you" I speak to him. My voice does hurt when I speak. None of that matters. I will fight to the death to make sure that Sam is safe and alive and mine.

He sighs. "I will be safe. There is a reason for my family has been on the throne for so long. Our Wolves are strong and far harder to kill than expected. I will never fall if it means that I will welcome your arms around me when all of this is over. What will keep me going is knowing that you are safe and sound. I will do everything for you, know this, I will do everything for you" Sam says to me. A tear rolls down from his eyes, and I catch it with my finger and wipe it away.

I don't know what to say. All of this is happening so fast and I'm not sure what is happening anymore. This moment however, this moment that I share with Sam does make me feel like things might actually turn out all right in the end. I close my eyes and let out a sigh. Some seconds or minutes, it doesn't matter, pass by before I open my eyes and meet his eyes that stare at me with intense love. "Promise me that you will return to me" I say to him and he sharply nods.

"I promise you with my heart, soul and body that I will return to you" Sam promises me. After those words are spoken, the door opens and two people walk inside. They are dressed like the staff is and before either one of us could speak a word, we are ripped from each other. One of them takes Sam out of the room while the other one which is a girl that could not be that older than I am. "We need to get you ready. You can't be dressed like that" She speaks to me in a dark tone.