Chapter 20: Kita vs Yoshida

The waiting room was pretty plain all in all with four white walls void of any posters. The ceiling and tile were a dark blueish, purple color. The only furniture in the room was the long, white folding table I was sitting at and a few chairs. Well, that and the water dispenser.

I rubbed a finger along the grooves of my right horn absentmindedly as I waited to be called out. I couldn't help but wonder if Emiko was watching the Sports Festival on TV right now if she was waiting for my fight.

"Yukimura, you may now make your way to the arena," said a male voice over the intercom."

I stood, pushing my chair back as I did so.

This is it. One-on-one, hand-to-hand combat-my specialty. I've got this in the bag.

I strode out of the waiting room and down the dimly lit hallway that led to the arena with my chin tilted up and my shoulders squared.

As I stepped into the harsh, spring sunlight the audience roared with anticipation. Directly across from me I could see my opponent walking towards the stage, her pinkish-red hair bobbed with every step. She met my eyes with a determined look of her own.

I could hear the fabric of my pants rubbing together as I walked and it made me uneasy. Why couldn't the uniform have been shorts instead? This loose fabric was going to slow me down when it came to swinging my legs.

As we climbed the stairs to the arena I knew I had only a few seconds to make my decision before the match started. I unzipped my jacket and threw it to the side of the stage, not caring that it landed on the ground.

I wasn't done yet. After I reached my spot on the stage I bent down, grabbing my pants legs tightly, and yanked as hard as I could. The sound of fabric tearing filled my ears. I must have looked silly standing there in my black tank top and make-shift shorts.

Even Amethyst Knight sounded confused over the speaker system. "Yukimura has...ripped her pants. Talk about a fashion statement. Anyways, from the Hero Course in Class 1-A, we have the student who scored the highest in her class's fitness test. She's as hard-headed as she is strong, give it up for Kita Yukimura!"

I felt a vein in my head twitch. Who let him be in charge of introductions‽

Amethyst Knight continued his introductions shamelessly. "And here we have another Hero Course student from Class 1-B. She's got the look of a stone-cold killer with fuzzy pink ears, it's Ryoma Yoshida!"

Even if I did look ridiculous, I felt relieved at having my legs freed from those baggy pants. As the crowd roared its approval for Yoshida I took a deep breath to ready myself for the fight that was about to begin. I felt my chest expand, enjoyed the sensation as air filled my lungs. I released it, never taking my eyes off Yoshida.

"I heard about your teacher's bet with Behemoth." I was surprised to hear Yoshida addressing me. My ears twitched as her words piqued my interest. "As much as I don't want Behemoth to be my teacher anymore, I can't afford to lose this fight."

"It sucks that he's your teacher. I feel bad for all the girls in your class," I replied, "but I can't afford to lose this fight either."

Not with Tauren's job on the line. Not when I have so much I need to prove.

I brought fists up to my face, my elbows pointed out slightly and my hips facing forward.

Amethyst Knight's voice rang clearly through the stadium with just one word. "Begin!"

I charged the girl from class 1-B head-on with my chin tucked. I had no clue what her Quirk was, so it was best to strike first.

If I'm lucky, one good headbutt will be enough to knock her out of bounds, but of course, that's wishful thinking. This girl is at the top of 1-B for a reason.