Chapter 14: An Unsettling Bet

A/N:

I'm back! Sorry it took so long, but I'm excited to get the Sports Festival arc underway! Just a quick piece of info before you get started reading.

In this story the Sports Festival will take place over a three day period. So for example on the first day the first years will do the first event and then the second years, and then the third years. Then on the second and third day it will work the same way. This just makes more sense to me.

I know this chapter is long but I hope you all enjoy! 

____________________________________________

"Way to go Kita!" Misaki cheered as I transitioned from a handstand to a backflip.

"You know," I said after sticking my landing, "you're a much tougher teacher than I thought you'd be."

"Gymnastics is no walk in the park. One wrong move and you could be paralyzed for the rest of your life." Misaki said, her cheerful voice contradictory to the words she spoke.

"Uh yeah, I'm beginning to realize that," I said, slightly put off. Sometimes Misaki was almost too cheerful for me.

"Anyways, we should take a short break before we move on to your Muay Thai training," I said, grabbing my water bottle from the floor.

I unscrewed the lid quickly, then chugged a healthy amount of the cool liquid. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and turned to face Misaki.

"Do you feel ready for the Sports Festival?"

"I--I don't know. I have no clue what kinds of Quirks the other Hero Course students have, but if they're anything like our classmates we have some tough competition. I don't have a combat Quirk like you. You can fight, just like you fought off those villains. If I can't land a hit with my Quirk, then I'm useless." Misaki sighed.

I tapped my finger against my chin, a thoughtful expression crossing my face. "What was it you told me on the first day of school? Oh yeah! 'It'll be hard for anyone to fight back if they're asleep.'" I said, smirking down at my dainty friend. "And besides, I didn't do a very good job of holding off those villains. If you and Ivana hadn't been there I'm not sure what I would have done."

Misaki gave me a small smile. I studied her bright purple leotard for a moment. It made her look curvier in an elegant way. A small part of me envied her feminine physique, her small shoulders, and slender arms and legs. My shoulders were tight with firm muscles, my calves thick and sturdy from months and months of training. I was not slender or delicate. I was not feminine in the way my female classmates were.

"Are you okay Kita?" Misaki asked, blinking up at me with her big brown eyes.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I was just thinking. Anyways, you should go ahead and change into your Muay Thai clothes."

"Right," Misaki said with a firm nod and then made her way to the changing rooms, gym bag in hand.

I shook my head, letting out a short breath of air. I can't believe I'm worrying over something silly like this. I can't afford to be slender or to not be so muscly. I'm a hand-to-hand fighter, and if I'm not in top form I can't fight the way I need to. That's that.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Later on that night Misaki and I were eating dinner in the dorms accompanied by Mori, Ivana, and Akiba.

Ivana twirled a pair of chopsticks absentmindedly between her fingers, her free hand propped against one of her cheeks. Her silver hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, which of course she managed to pull off perfectly.