Chapter 23

Chang'an street was thronged with people. Jin Wang ordered his attendants to park the carriage in a secluded narrow lane and led Ye Shu out without them.

Ye Shu, in the end, chose to wear the disguise. The reason was: Since His Majesty had already taken in the beauty, he could not let those officials down; he must be pampered well.

But Jin Wang knew he was making trouble on purpose. This man could hardly wait for the outside world to look upon him as capricious.

This was really damnable. Jin Wang thought to himself.

"Shall we go over there and have a look?" Ye Shu turned his head to look at him, his eyes smiling brightly.

Ye Shu's disguise was quite the beauty as well, but his original appearance, which was more delicate, was much more to Jin Wang's liking. To Jin Wang, who was accustomed to the sight that could cause the downfall of his state, the beauty of this disguise was simply invisible to him.

But now that he knew who was under it, even it had become pleasing to his eyes.

Jin Wang shook his head and broke out from his momentary daze. Ye Shu didn't wait for him to answer and directly pulled him towards Chang'an street.

During the day, the street was nowhere near as lively as it was at night, but it was not so bad either. Hawkers were on both sides of the street, passers-by flocking through, three to five people forming companionships; what an auspicious scene.

As an emperor, it was gratifying to see such a prosperous time under his reign. But with this little devil by his side, Jin Wang didn't have the slightest mood to appreciate the spirit of the people.

Why is he running so fast? Doesn't he know that he has to walk slowly? He's even cramming into crowded areas, what if he gets shoved? Furthermore, how dare you let goof Gu's hand! Gu will not let you out next time!

Jin Wang forcefully took Ye Shu's hand. "Hold on to Gu."

Ye Shu looked back at him, just in time to meet Jin Wang's gloomy complexion.

The two looked at each other for a moment.

Ye Shu then smiled and said, "We came out to have fun, what are you making such along face for? Here, this is for you."

He stuffed a skewer of tanghulu into Jin Wang's hand.

Jin Wang was stumped and asked in a trance, "You... You bought this for Gu?"

"Aye," Ye Shu also held a skewer in his hand, sticking out his tongue to lick the coated sugar. "Your Majesty hasn't had the chance to eat this in the past. Try it, it's delicious."

Jin Wang lowered his head and took a bite.

The taste was sweet and sour, like the fragrance of this man's faith incense.

Ah no. This hawthorn fruit has a more astringent taste, not nearly as good as the faith incense.

Wait... Hawthorn fruit......

It hadn't been long since the imperial physician told him that Kunjun should abstain from eating hawthorns during gestation.

This man was courting disaster again!

Ye Shu was about to take a bite when Jin Wang quickly reached out and seized his skewer.

Ye Shu, "?"

Jin Wang expressionlessly said, "Spit it out."

Ye Shu obediently opened his mouth.

Jin Wang held out Ye Shu's skewer and said, "This is Gus."