Chapter 49

An attempt was made on the life of Changlu's monarch right outside the palace, but he was fortunately treated in time and no serious injury was reported.

Under the moonlit sky, Ye Shu walked out of the prison and looked up into the night.

His bloodstained fox fur robe, which he hadn't had time to change, was as white as a wintersweet flower in a blanket of snow, looking appalling.

Ye Shu took a deep breath to quell the bout of nausea in his stomach.

Earlier that day, he had returned to the palace with Jin Wang, and once the imperial physicians had taken care of his arrow wound, he proceeded to the prison with the token that Jin Wang had given him.

Some of the assassins who staged an ambush at the Ye Mansion were killed on thespot by the imperial guards, and some killed themselves upon capture, so only a fewwere eventually taken to prison.

But it was enough.

Ye Shu was escorted by the guards back to Yangxin Hall. Just as he walked in, hecaught sight of Jin Wang leaning lazily on the couch, reading a folding memorial thatwas held in his hands.

Aside from being a little pale, he seemed well spirited.

There was no sign of the man who had nearly lost his life a couple of hours ago.

This man's resilience was truly something to wonder at.

"You're back. Come over here sss—" Seeing Ye Shu come back, Jin Wang tried to sit up but accidentally pulled his wound, making his complexion turn ashen in pain.

He was promptly surrounded by several inner servants who rushed to his aid in fright.

Ye Shu strode over, frowning as he said, "Why don't you go lie in bed?"

"I was waiting for you so we could have our meal." A cushion was padded behind Jin Wang and he could barely hold himself up. He smiled at him. "You're tired. Sit down and rest."

Ye Shu hesitated for a moment before saying, "I'll go take a bath."

He had just come out of prison. That place had not been exposed to sunlight for years, and the dampness, coldness, and the heavy smell of blood still lingered on him. Ye Shu had been in there for several hours, and the smell he now carried was nothing to write home about.

Ye Shu went to bathe and got changed. By the time he returned, several inner servants were in the middle of serving the meals.

Gao Jin helping Jin Wang to some soup.

Jin Wang was injured on his shoulder and could not lift his whole arm until the injury healed.

But as the monarch, he had plenty of people to serve him with meals in his daily life.

Ye Shu took over from Gao Jin and sat down beside Jin Wang with the bowl of soup. "All of you are dismissed."

In the past, the two of them did not need to be served, but today, after all, was a different case. Gao Jin looked at His Majesty's expression and saw that the latter made no objection, so he waved away the inner servants and withdrew from Yangxin Hall.

Ye Shu fed Jin Wang the soup spoonful by spoonful.

It suddenly occurred to him that he used to dislike serving this man.

This was an era when imperial power reigned supreme, and while this one before him was a monarch, he was in a position to acknowledge allegiance and serve the other.

Ye Shu had never been used to, nor did he like, this kind of unequal relationship.

But now it no longer mattered.