Chapter 46

Ye Shu stared blankly at Jin Wang, apparently not understanding why Jin Wang would say that.

He had never thought about it that way.

Ye Shu had a vivid memory of who he had been in the modern society era, and that knowledge, those memories, those experiences, were not fake at all.

How could he possibly be the original owner?

"It can't be," Ye Shu shook his head. "It doesn't stand to reason."

"Stand to reason?" Jin Wang seemed to have heard something hilarious. "You've just told me so much; about other worlds, transmigrating, and about me being merely a character in the book—does any of this stand to reason?"

Even Jin Wang himself did not expect that he would so willingly believe and accept these inconceivable stories from Ye Shu.

When the answers were finally unveiled, it instead felt like a dawn of enlightenment for Jin Wang. Ye Shu's words that night had answered many of the doubts he had recently grown to have.

From the time spent with Ye Shu to the arrival of Yu Yan, the mysteries grew, but increasingly convinced Jin Wang of one thing.

That was, Ye Shu could never have assassinated him.

With this as a basis, he had to reconsider one of his initial guesses.

During those three years, something must have happened to Ye Shu. Something which must not have been easy to conceal.

Hence, he used Xiao Huan's case to test Ye Shu.

And sure enough, Ye Shu had no knowledge of what had happened in the past.

Having determined that Ye Shu had not changed, there was only one conclusion. No matter what had happened in those three years, no matter what else Ye Shu had not told him, it would not affect this answer.

—Ye Shu's memory had been impaired.

This was the answer Jin Wang came up with after all that time of investigating, probing, and pondering.

It was only today, with Ye Shu unveiling the truth behind all the mysteries, that the missing piece of the puzzle was finally filled in.

Jin Wang informed Ye Shu of all his inferences and gently said, "For if you could come here this time, why couldn't it have been you in the past as well? Since everything was unclear, why can't we assume that you actually came here during the time when your memory lapsed in your early childhood?"

"At first you acted as if you were a stranger to this world, but you had a good grasp of what would happen in the future. If you had not known the outcome in advance, how else could you have done it?"

"I......" Ye Shu's eyelashes twitched slightly, his voice trailing off, "I don't know."

He had also wondered whether the original owner was, like him, someone who had come here from another world. But that was, after all, merely a guess and could not be verified.

"There is but one thing that I have been unable to justify to myself so far." Jin Wang went on, "Why you betrayed me."

Ye Shu said, "Wasn't that the original owner's attempt to avenge his family?"

"Avenge?" Jin Wang chuckled. "You were only an illegitimate son of the Ye family, the son of a maidservant. You had not received any favor or care from the Ye family from the time you were born until you left the Ye Mansion. You think I would be convinced by that excuse?"

Ye Shu also felt that this claim was not tenable. He muttered in a whisper, "How would I know what was in his mind."

Jin Wang also fell silent.