Chapter 45

The atmosphere momentarily fell into an eerie silence.

After a while, Ye Shu spoke hesitantly, "How... How long have you been here?"

......And how did you hear

Jin Wang held back a smile. "Not long."

He paused and then added, "But I got here just when you did."

"......"

Jin Wang had been faking his drunkenness that night. As to why, it was probably to test whether he would leave with Xiao Huan. His worries from earlier had proved correct; the man had indeed noticed that there was something off between him and Xiao Huan.

Jin Wang advanced step by step and extended his hand to Ye Shu, but the latter flinched a half step back as if frightened.

His hand hovered in the air for a scant moment before he effortlessly pulled Ye Shu over.

"Cold?" Jin Wang took his hand in his. "Your palms are all sweaty. Afraid I'll be angry?"

Ye Shu's lips were pale, slightly pursed.

Jin Wang folded Ye Shu into his embrace with one hand, gently stroking his back with his palm. "I'm not angry. You don't have to be afraid."

Jin Wang pressed his forehead against Ye Shu's cold one, with his eyes gentle, he smiled lightly. "Little fool, you are willing to stay for me, I am more than happy. How could I be angry?"

Ye Shu's eyes looked somewhat panicked. "I......"

"Let's go back first. It's too cold here outside," Jin Wang said.

He ordered for the imperial palanquin to be brought, and helped Ye Shu climb into it.

Ye Shu had not yet recovered from his fright and only came back to himself when they entered a room and Jin Wang reached over to take off his fox fur wrap.

Jin Wang had brought him back to Yangxin Hall.

Jin Wang put his fox fur coat aside and said with a smile, "You didn't object when I asked you if you wanted to go back to Yangxin Hall. You can't go back on your word now."

A servant brought them a bowl of ginger soup that would help dispel the cold. Jin Wang took it, scooped up a spoonful and tried to feed it to Ye Shu, but the latter avoided it. "I-I'll do it myself."

Jin Wang did not object.

He dismissed the palace servants in the hall with a wave, leaving the two of them alone, sitting side by side on the small couch.

Ye Shu held the bowl of ginger soup and took a small sip before turning his head to look at Jin Wang.

The look on Jin Wang's face was still unreadable, but the stifling, oppressive feeling around him had already disappeared, and he seemed truly devoid of anger.

On the contrary...... He was even a little happy?

Ye Shu asked, "If I had really left with Xiao Huan earlier, would you have had me killed?"

Jin Wang froze and said, "No."

"Then, would you have locked me up?"

Jin Wang put the bowl aside. After a moment of thought, he shook his head. "Don't know."

"Tonight, I have been thinking, if you really want to leave, should I make you stay or should I let you go after all?" Jin Wang collected himself and his expression slightly darkened. "It is easy to capture people, but hard to capture their hearts. If your heart is not here with me, even if you stay this time, you will still keep looking for chances to leave in the future."