Chapter 43

The first thought that Ye Shu had when he heard Xiao Huan's remark was that this man could not have been sent by Jin Wang to test him, could he?

He was not to blame for being suspicious, because although Jin Wang had not treated him that way recently, his history of countless subversive tricks in the past compelled Ye Shu to be cautious.

With this in mind, Ye Shu took a fresh look at the young man in front of him.

Owing to certain genetic influences, Kunjun tended to have a delicate temperament but this was not the case with the young man in front of him. Xiao Huan was born in a martial arts family and had trained in that field since he was young. His facial features, in all their beauty and gallantry, combined with his righteous demeanor made it impossible to doubt his integrity.

If this was all an act, then perhaps this man's acting skills had already reached the acme of perfection.

But Ye Shu remained unconvinced. He weighed his words for a moment and then said, "I'm afraid that is not the right way to address His Majesty, Young Lord Xiao."

"What's not right with that?" Xiao Huan snorted. "If my father hadn't helped him back then, would he have had a chance to take the throne? Good for him, but once the throne had been usurped, he also purged his former courtiers. Wasn't that how he had Ye Shu-gege killed?"

Ye Shu's eyelids fluttered, catching Xiao Huan's implication. "You're saying that......Minister Ye suffered an unjust death?"

The more Ye Shu listened, the more confused he became, he asked, "But the dog......ahem, His Majesty is doing quite well now though?"

Xiao Huan looked at him sympathetically.

"You don't have to worry, I'm not out here fooling you," Xiao Huan's voice softened a bit, then said seriously, "I know that ever since Ye Shu-gege died, that dog emperor sought you due to your close resemblance to him, and is keeping you around to torment you in all kinds of ways. Having been treated by him in that manner, it's no wonder you were so afraid of him."

Ye Shu, "......"

Had his image in the eyes of outsiders become like this???

Ye Shu pressed his brows. "Young Lord Xiao, you seem to have misunderstood the matter, His Majesty has been treating me quite well and has not......tormented me."

Xiao Huan fell silent.

He gazed into Ye Shu's eyes for a long time and then sighed lightly, "It's so kind of you to speak up for him when he humiliated you like that."

Ye Shu, "............"

"You look so much like Ye Shu-gege, for this to happen, too, must be predestined by fate." Xiao Huan stepped forward and he said in a warm voice, "Come with me to the southern fief. That dog emperor would have to give some face to my father, even if he does find out your whereabouts, he wouldn't dare to come to take you back so easily either."

"......No one will ever hurt you again."

The young man looked so sincere that it was almost impossible to refuse.

Leaving this place was originally something that Ye Shu had been wishing for. He didn't belong here in the first place. He always had to fear for his life by staying with that tyrant. If Xiao Huan had come a few months earlier, Ye Shu would not have had any hesitation.

But now......

His hand, hidden in the fox fur he wore, went up to caress his abdomen, and his eyes collected slightly.

He......seemed less eager to leave than he was before.

"You're still uncertain of me, aren't you?" Xiao Huan questioned. "How about this, I'll give you a few days to think about it."