Speed vs Water

The students of class A sat in their private section of the stadium as they watched Cementoss create the battle arena they would be competing on. Some of the students had smiles of excitement to what was in store, especially the ones who didn't qualify for the finals. The ones who did were all waiting in a mix of emotions ranging from nervousness to excitement.

"WHAT IS POPPIN FOLKS, ARE YOU ALL READY FOR THE FINAL EVENT FOR THE FIRST YEARS!?" Mic yelled out over the intercoms earning a roar from the crowd. "NOW LET'S GET THIS THING STARTED, YO!"

Cementoss completed the final block of the fighting stage before walking to the side across from Midnight, the two teachers acting as referees to the matches. They nodded to each other and gave a thumbs up to Mic they were ready. On cue, the first two combatants walked through their respective tunnels and onto the stage.

"FIRST WE HAVE THE ONE ELECTRIFYING THE COMPETITION. FROM THE HERO COURSE, DENKI KAMINARI! VERSUS, THE VINE WIELDING ASSASSIN SNEAKING HER WAY IN HERE. ALSO FROM THE HERO COURSE OF CLASS B, IBARA SHIOZAKI!"

While most of the class was intent on watching what happened, Midoriya couldn't help but look to his left into the other students, noticing a few others missing as they waited below for their match to start after this one. He felt a tightness in his chest in worry for what was going to happen.

_______________________________________________________

Katara was seated in her own waiting room as she could hear the cheers from the first match starting. She however couldn't relax, tapping her foot as her nerves were building inside of her. She had seen Tenya had been getting more serious about his training over the last few weeks, but after what she heard she was truly surprised of what she had found out. It seemed that not only was his drive to win to be like his brother, but it was also coming from the many times she had unknowingly beaten him. All those times through school she was simply trying to outdo herself and get stronger, but it seemed her good friend had taken those times differently. And now it was coming to head today in the very first match. Momo was waiting there with her, the taller teen standing against the wall near the door. She had seen how upset Katara was after she found out her opponent, and she had tried her best to try and console her. Although for the last few minutes they sat in silence.

"Do you want me to get you anything real fast?" Yaoyorozu finally asked her, receiving a shake from her friends head.

"No I'm alright." Katara quietly said, her eyes stayed locked on the ground.

Momo sighed and rubbed her arm. "Even though this is a tournament, I hope you don't hold it against Iida. He just wants to win like all of us do."

"Yeah..." Katara huffed out and glared at the wall. "Is that why he is so set on beating me specifically? To the point he can't even be on a team with me?"

Momo was about to retort, but she knew Katara was speaking the truth. The way Iida was taking this was on a much more personal level than he should be, unwilling to even work with her in the last event. She heard him mentioning his brother earlier, so perhaps he had pressure to live up to. She didn't have family that were heroes, so she didn't know the feeling of family members to try and follow in their footsteps. Katara was wondering the same thing, knowing how much he looked up to Tensei. Before she could think any more about it though, the loud roar from the crowd took over their senses.

"Something big must have happened out there." Katara said as she stood up.

"Yeah, I wonder what happened." Momo responded. The knock on the door made her jump for a moment before it was pushed open, one of the school security staff standing there.

"Miss Katara, your up now." the man said.

"What? Already?" Katara asked in surprise, earning a nod from the man. The last match had only lasted no more than twenty seconds and it was over?