What Comes Next

Notes: a few days late... I know. was actually helping out my artist for the manga pages coming soon. so please, anyone who is interested please go to the go fund me link for more manga work!

Enji Todoroki stared at himself in the mirror, observing the injuries he had now. While his eye was saved, the large scar across the left side of his face made his heart skip a beat, reminding him of the injury that had plagued his son's face. After everything that had happened, he had tried to call Shoto to talk to him, but never once did the phone pick up yet. While he wanted to shout in frustration, he couldn't bring himself to do it, his guilt still too strong to do anything.

Hissing at himself, he ripped off the final bandages on his head, tossing them to the trash and turning the water on. He splashed the water on his face and dried it off, walking out of the bathroom and back to his hospital room, ready to finally get out of this place. Changed into his new formal suit brought by some of his sidekicks, he turned to the knocking on the door, watching as it opened to his top sidekick coming in, the woman out of costume and in pants with a gray jacket.

"Hey, boss," Burnin said with a nod. While she was still getting used to the scar he sported now, she certainly made sure not to make a big deal out of it. "So, you got the all clear now?"

Enji gave a small nod and adjusted the tie on his neck. "I'll be fine. What about you?"

Shrugging, Burnin leaned against the doorway and scratched her cheek. "I'm good," she frowned and looked at her boss. "You sure you gotta do this now? Maybe it would be best to wait a bit."

"No... I need to do this." he grunted, taking a breath and walking towards her. "It's been four days since the raid, and I need to say something."

Sighing, Burnin nodded and stepped back. "Alright then. I'll have them bring the car around."

As the pair began walking down the hall towards the exit, Enji couldn't help but stop at the double doors leading down to the room that had tormented his mind over these days. Clenching his fists, he took a breath and walked towards it. "Just... give me a minute," he muttered.

Burnin frowned and turned away, not having the nerve to go in there anymore after the last few days. "I'll see you downstairs." As she left him alone, Enji made his way through the hall to the emergency wing of the hospital, forcing himself down the hall until he came to the final room at the end. Pushing through the door, he held his breath as he came upon the horrible sight once more.

Katara laid in her hospital bed, the oxygen mask still strapped to her face as she lay unconscious. In his wheelchair, Tensei was beside the bed, the young man looking restless as he had just come back here again. Sitting against the wall was Madoka, the woman looking up from her knitting and glaring at the flame hero coming in.

"What do you want again?" Madoka growled out.

"I have a press conference to attend..." Enji said, seeing Tensei continuing to stare at Katara, "I just wanted to check on her once more before."

"Oh, you need something to use for your presser?" Madoka sneered. "You want a picture of her to get sympathy from everyone?" After a moment her eyebrow raised before she glared again. "If you are, don't even think about it."

Enji exhaled at the woman's remarks, his head lowering a bit. "I am sorry. I truly am for what happened..."

"I already heard that from you before, and like I told you, what will that help with? Katara is still hurt."

"I know... And I understand you're upset and-

"Do you?!" Madoka snapped, dropping the knitting supplies as she stood up. "Katara nearly died working under you, and she is the one laying here! How could you have let her out of your sight and..." She gritted her teeth as her eyes began watering, "How could you have let these kids do something so dangerous?!"