Family Darkness

Notes: Happy new year to everyone! sorry about the delay, was supposed to come out the day before new years. just got very delayed with family and other things we got caught up in. and after the fun chapters we had... time for some serious changes to the fic.

Katara stirred in her sleep slightly, sighing and rubbing her face against the pillow she was on. After a moment she realized the pillow shifted, her eyes slowly opening up and seeing the arm beneath her. She blushed when she looked over to see Shoto passed out on the couch, smiling as his breathing made his chest rise slowly. She remembered how at the end of the day after the festival, everyone came back enjoying dinner with one another, laughing and talking about the day they had. She then remembered sitting on the couch next to Shoto before falling asleep, obvious that Shoto chose to stay beside her on the couch.

She reached down and brushed away the red hair in his face, her thumb reaching down and running across the burn scar on his face. Despite what he felt about it, she actually liked it on him, as if it were a personal beauty mark in a way. Leaning down, she gave a small kiss to his cheek, smiling as he mumbled in his sleep. She was actually surprised she woke up before him, assuming he was so comfortable sleeping beside her. Hearing some grunts beside her, Katara turned to see both Tsu and Uraraka asleep on the other couch, laughing seeing them both drooling and twitching in their dreams. Standing up from the couch, Katara stretched and popped her arms.

"Hopefully we have some easy classes after everything we did for the festival." Katara mumbled to herself, feeling her stomach growl. As she made her way towards the kitchen, she pulled her phone out to check the time, only to be surprised by the number of missed calls it showed she had. "Huh?"

She hadn't even checked her phone in all honesty over the last two days, pretty much fully focused on preparing for her stage show performance. As she opened it up, she was even more surprised to see the person who was calling her, her heart rate rising slightly. "Burnin?"

After not hearing anything from that specific agency in nearly the last two weeks, Katara had been wondering if she was ever going to be called by any of them again. With everything she had learned and told, however, she knew her peaceful days at the school would have to end for the truth at some point. Now, it seemed that time had finally come. Clicking on the icon, she took a breath and called it back, waiting until she heard the click on the other side. "Hey Burnin..."

"Took enough time to answer, huh kid?" Burnin's annoyed voice said on the other side, "Of all the times to not answer... now isn't that time."

The tone in her voice was a mix of many things, and Katara felt her chest tighten guessing what it was from. "I was caught up with stuff here. So... you are calling because..."

''I don't even need to tell you what the hell I'm calling for..." She hissed out, sighing on the other side. "... I need you and that kid of Endeavor to get your ass over her now. We got some shit to talk about."

The phone clicked from the sidekick hanging up, leaving Katara sitting alone in the kitchen before leaning against the counter. She took several breaths as she turned to Shoto sleeping on the couch, frowning as he seemed to be sleeping so peacefully. After she had got him to be able to simply enjoy himself and have fun after everything, she would now have to take him out of that comfort... and back into the darkness that haunted his family.

_____________________________________________________________

Which was easier said than done.

When Katara went to Aizawa and told him they had to leave school to meet Endeavor, the idea was shot down immediately.

"You really think this is the time for that?" Aizawa groaned. "You're on very little terms to be leaving these grounds at this moment."

"Sir, you don't understand. We have to go today." Katara explained to her teacher before anyone was in class. "We were called and need to go."