Growing Stronger

Notes: Well I wasn't able to publish this last week due to time, I still have to announce this to all of you. Last week we reached the 2 year anniversary of the start of A Waterbending Quirk. I honestly can't believe this story has gone on so long and has got so much love. I thank all of you for the support you've given and can't wait to keep delivering what comes next. Enjoy!

The door to Katara's room slowly opened late that night, the waterbender quietly making her way into her dorm. Her eyes sat unfocused as she blindly pushed the door back closed and stood there, her body feeling weightless and hollow. She stood still as her heart was still beating fast, reaching her hand up to rub her head. As she did, her eyes caught sight of something on her forearm, inhaling deeply when she turned her arm over and saw she missed some from earlier.

Blood.

She walked over to her dresser and grabbed a rag, rubbing at the spot to clean it off only to find it dried and stuck. Frowning, she opened her canteen and pulled out some water, soaking the rag and wiping her arm once more. Once it was cleaned, she dropped her arms and moved over to drop the rag on top of her counter. She barely made it two more steps before she saw the red spot on her school uniform, pulling at the fabric and seeing the red streak down her right side. She quickly pulled her shirt off and threw it aside, noticing the light shake in her hands as she stood there.

Her breath came in faster as she sat back on her bed, squeezing her hands before bringing them together on her knees. She closed her eyes as she lowered her head, her mind replaying the event that occurred earlier in her mind over and over again.

____________________________________________________________

Earlier that evening

The door to the nurses office burst open, the medical bot pulling the floating gurney in the hall and past Katara, the teens eyes going wide from the damage. "Put them inside the back room, hurry!" Recovery Girl yelled as she guided the robot in, quickly followed by several others right after.

The first bed that came in the doorway carried a brown haired boy, his left side covered in blood from his shattered arm as he cried out in pain. Coming in right after him was another tall male, his unconscious face red from the massive gash on the right side of his forehead. The loud scream from the doorway made Katara jump, turning to see a red haired girl coming in next clutching at a bloody towel on her side. Wanting to help, Katara ran over to the girl and gripped the towel herself. "Move your hands, watch out." She said as she walked on the side of the moving bed.

"GAH!" the girl gasped as she felt the pressure from Katara's hands, throwing her head back on the bed as she cried out from the intense pain. "Don't... Don't do that!"

"I'm sorry!" Katara swallowed as she followed the bed through the room, lightening the pressure she applied but keeping it enough as the blood tried seeping out. "You'll be fine, don't worry."

"Come on, bring the final one in!" Recovery Girl yelled out the back room, causing Katara to turn around and see the fourth bed pulled in, the female teen on the bed unconscious and her head nearly enclosed in bandages. "Pull that one in with the other, I will need to do those ones first."

"Alright!" Katara let go as she ran back to guide the other bed inside, pushing it inside and past the other two conscious teens into the back room with the elder nurse. Setting it aside by the bed, she looked over to the two still outside the room on their beds. "What about them?"

"I need to put my focus on these two first," The old woman sternly declared as she checked their pulses. "They suffered severe head trauma, so I must try and heal them before anything serious. But because they are unconscious, the healing will take a bit longer since their bodies are asleep. I need you to do what you can to help the others. See what injuries they have and treat them the best you can while I finish these two up."