23. All paid

As much as I'd love writing an author's note, I really don't have time. Enjoy!

23. All paid

My heavy eyes open in the dark, my head dizzy.

“What the…” I try to lift my hands but feel them bound together in front of me.

“Ah, you’re awake,” a newly familiar voice says

My head snaps towards the source and I see a tall figure with sandy blond hair and dark brown eyes.

“Adrian?” my eyes widen, the words from before rush to my head “What the hell are you doing?”

With a small chuckle, he crouches down so we’re on eye level. My eyes adjust to the dark and I can just make out his smirk.

“Nothing personal, Elise,” he says, bemused “But your partner is a pain in the ass. Taking him down is necessary.”

I narrow my eyes at him “And how do you plan on doing that?”

“By kidnapping you, of course,” he says waving a hand at me “He’ll come for you— hell, any man would, and when he does, he wont be going back.”

I school my features in perfect calm, holding my breath so it wouldn’t come out as shallow intakes. No, no, don’t panic. Do not panic! Panic makes you stupid, stupid gets you killed!

“What about me?” I ask

“We’d leave you alone,” a new voice says, my eyes snap up to see Ryan against a tree “You can wait in one place until the Hunt is over, then you can go back.”

I stare at him for a moment, indignity sparks a fire in me, fueled by two days of pent up words.

“Excuse me?” I glare at them “You think I’m not a threat? That you can leave me here?”

“What?” Adrian raises his brows

“Don’t ‘what?’ me!” I snap “I’m perfectly capable of coming back for revenge! I might not look much, but I’m pretty damn dangerous!”

“I don’t follow,” Adrian looks at Ryan for help

“Do you want us to kill you?” Ryan asks me, his brows knotted

Those words snap me out of my angry haze. Right…

“Well,” I clear my throat “you don’t have to think about that. Luke wont come for me.”

Adrian shakes his head with a smile “That’s the oldest trick in the book, love.”

“Fine, don’t believe me,” I lean back against the tree I’m sitting by “But he hates my guts, he cant stand the sight of me. He’ll probably thank the stars that I’m gone and be on his merry way.”

For a moment, they both go quiet and I realize, its not just me amazing acting skills that they are considering my words. It’s the conviction, the truth in them.

Adrian and Ryan exchange a look, then Ryan says “Werther he likes you or not, it’s on his pride now. He will come.”

“Hmm,” I put on a thinking expression, ignoring the bitter taste in my mouth “Now that you put it like that… maybe he will come after all.”