27. Mind Readers

Yeah, I know I say this a lot but I really am super busy, so, Enjoy!

27. Mind Readers

Days melted into nights and my memory only stores all of it as a haze of walking, arguing and more walking.

The forest was getting thicker, the trees and vines blocking our path— it’s not even a path actually, just a zig-zag go through. So I guess it’s really our fault for doing this, not theirs.

“Goddess, this is infuriating,” I grumble as I push vines out of my view and stagger behind Luke

How the hell can he walk through here?

“Stop grumbling and focus,” He calls back “The roots are protruding out of the ground.”

“What’s next? Apes throwing rocks at us?”

“I doubt it. The forest was cleared of most animals for the Hunt.”

I roll my eyes but don’t say anything, as I do so, my gaze lands on a bright red feather ball on one of the lower branches of a tree.

“Aww, just look at that adorable— eeek!”

My foot catches in something and I lose my balance, falling towards the earth, I clench my eyes to brace myself for the fall but before that could happen, something pulls me back upright.

Luke doesn’t let go of my arms even when I’ve straightened, causing a tingly feeling where his skin touches mine. Does he feel that too? Am I being hormonal? Is it the air?

“I told you to be careful,” He says, nodding his chin towards the ground where a root was protruding out

“I got distracted,” I pull away from him, unable to bare the tingles

But when I attempt to do that, a sharp pain up my ankle causes me to stop with a hiss. I lift my foot and to my horror, see a bruise winking at me.

Luke steadies me again, furrowing his eyebrows he stares at my ankle that’s already starting to swell “Do you think you can walk?”

I give him a look “I’m going to pretend you didn’t say that.”

“But we cant stop here,” he looks at our surroundings

“Oh yes, I can definitely float in the air.”

“Hazel, let me think.”

“No really, just watch,” I close my eyes and strike a yoga pose by connecting my thumbs and forefingers “Oom— work damn thing— oom.”

With a sigh, Luke lets go of me, I wobble and lean against a tree. He simply turns his back at me before crouching down.

“Are you…” I stare at his back in disbelief “Are you going to give me a back ride?”

“If you’re done processing that, hurry up.” he says, his voice irked

I bite my bottom lip not to grin like an idiot. Who knew I’d see the day Alpha Luke Winters gives me a back ride?