43. Let's pretend

Hey guys, this chapter is so cute and so into the feels, I loved writing it!

Please let me know what u think about it!

43. Let's pretend

۝ Elise ۝

I tell myself its nothing.

I tell myself I don’t feel like I’m about to burst into tears every time Luke averts his eyes from me, I tell myself my thoughts do not drift to what he said that day every night, I tell myself I will forget this.

I watch as the sun comes up from behind the clouds. A wave of homesickness crashes over me.

Mom’s pretty face, smiling warmly at me. Carlos’ crooked grin, calm blue eyes. Angelina’s ruckus over the tinniest things. Morgan’s amazing apple pies and savvy stories.

What have they all been doing since I came here? Would they remember what day it is today?

Someone touches my shoulder.

I jump away, in an instant, my revolver is pressed against someone’s forehead, my finger at the trigger.

Luke holds his hands up in mock surrender “That’s a waste of ammunition.”

I let out a breath I was holding and pull my hand away “You startled me.”

Luke raises an eyebrow “I called you twice. You didn’t respond.”

“Oh,” I blink “I didn’t hear you.”

“You seem distracted.” Luke says monotonously as he scatters away the remaints of the fire wood

I refrain myself from sighing. Why cant he just talk to me normally? It would make it so easier to ignore this. It would make everything—

Like an illusion. Luke is right, Elise. This cant be as simple as you wish it was.

The moon knows what it took for me to push away from him when all I wanted was him to kiss me the way he had before, in a way that made me forget fear, restrictions, the whole damn world.

I should die of shame.

How could I do this to myself? To my mate? To Luke?  I should’ve stopped him before things went so out of hand. I should’ve stopped myself.

Someone snaps their fingers in front of my face. I blink a few times, Luke’s impassive face comes in my view.

“I zoned out for a bit,” I say sheepishly

He keeps staring at me for a few moments “Are you alright?”

No. “Fine. Why?”

Luke shakes his head and picks up the bag, slinging it over his shoulders. The next words seem to wretch themselves out of his mouth;

“You look like a kicked puppy.”

The corner of my mouth lifts up “Just feeling homesick today.”

Luke starts walking, for a few moments we walk in silence. Then;

“Why?”

Don’t tell him. There’s no point. This is—

“It’s my birthday today.”

For the briefest moment, I see him falter in his steps, his shoulders tense. Silence stretches between us and I feel like kicking myself. Why the hell did I tell him? what did I expect?