29. Spellbound

1k reads...

Holy flippin' books! Is this my book? It this really my book that has 1k reads? Someone pinch me

Thank u so much, my amazing readers, u guys are the best! Da best! 😆

Enjoy the chapter!

29. Spellbound

I always hated being a light sleeper. The slightest sound can shake my slumber. But you see I’m stubborn and so, I try to ignore the sounds and sleep again.

I shuffle in the sheets, ignoring the creaking of the wooden floor under someone’s feet.

Wait… 

I open my eyes just a little, there’s no one in my line of sight. When my eyes move away a bit, they widen. I scramble away from the dark figure looming over me.

I open my mouth to scream the whole mansion down but a hand closes around it, the feel of it is oddly familiar.

I smell him before I can make out his features. The scent of coffee and pine trees.

“Don’t scream,” Luke crouches down so we’re on eye level

I shove his hand away and glare at him.

“You almost gave me a heart attack!” I say in a furious whisper

My eyes adjust to the dark and I see Luke raising an eyebrow. For some reason, his being here is bothering me. After ignoring me the whole day, he thinks he can just come to me in the dark of the night? When no one can see him talking to me?

“What do you want?” I cross my arms

For a moment Luke stares at me, face unreadable and eyes thoughtful, then he settles down on the mattress, forming a dip in it.

“Well?” I narrow my eyes

“Everette said they didn’t burn the luggage of every team they captured,” he says “That means there’s still a map here somewhere. If we ever want to get out, we need the map.”

I raise my brows at him. Everette, huh? Not ‘Oh my beautiful love’? and he does want to get out of here. Interesting, I thought he’d found himself a home.

I decide to be professional and think of what he just told me. Something clicks in my head.

“The warehouse,” I snap my fingers “Filipe told me that’s where they’re keeping stuff they took from other competitors.”

Luke nods, but the sudden hardness of his features doesn’t go unnoticed by me.

“And who is Filipe?”

Just as he says that, the devil himself comes to me and whispers in my ear; ‘Time for payback.’

I smile shyly and lower my face, making a great show of tracing my finger along the sheets.

“He helped me settle up here,” I say like the demure maiden I am “And he also gave me a tour around the mansion and the perimeter.”