02. Attack of the walnuts

Sup! I see u r still here. Thank u! Also, I think imma gonna give a bit of sneak peak for the next chapter at the end of each? What do u think? 😊

02. Attack of the walnuts

"Elise!"

I whirl around, my pin straight hair follows the movement. My eyes meet familiar blue ones.

"Shuss!" I mock-glare at my best friend "I'm doing something important!"

His lips tug upwards in the usual crooked grin and he simply leans against the wall, watching me as I achieve greatness.

Right, I take the catapult, grab a big walnut and take aim. One, two, three...

Snap!

A banshee like scream meets my ears and I quickly duck behind the wall, chocking on giggles.

"Who did this?" A shrill voice demands "Who did this?!"

A familiar deep chuckle reaches me from my side.

"What are you? A six year old?" He asks, his eyes shining with amusement

"Just because I'm 19 doesn't mean I can't have fun." I grin at him "you wanna try?"

He considers it for a moment "Why the hell not?"

I give him a walnut and the catapult, we exchange a serious nod like the ones best friends do before stealing ice cream from the fridge.

He takes aim, pulls the rubber back andー

Snap!

"I'm going to kill you when I find you!"

Unable to hold myself back, I stumble away, clasping my hands on my mouth. Only when I'm out of ear shot, laughter bubbles past my lips and I can almost feel my face becoming red.

Another laugh combines with mine and I realize I'm not the only one who ran.

"Goddess, you didn't see her face!" He says

"Oh don't worry, we always have next time." I say grinning

"Carlos!"

Both of us jump at the stern voice, soon enough a tall man with pale blond hair and grey eyes comes in my view.

"Beta Drake," I and Carlos bow our heads

Beta looks at me for a second, his eyes holding the usual glint of disdain, then turns to my bestie.

"What are you doing here?" He demands "all the pack warriors are supposed to be training right now."

"The training ended not five minutes ago, Beta." Carlos says, jumping to his serious voice "in fact, I was just her to tell the Omega to clean the weapons."

Beta turns his harsh face to me again.

"Then stop standing here like an idiot and get to it!" He barks

I stare back into his grey eyes defyingly. My muscles itch to bend my neck and submit, my eyes prickle with the effort of looking into his powerful ones but I've practiced this for ages.

"Of course, Beta." I finally say and turn around to get as far from him as possible.

Like father like daughter.

But it's not really Beta's fault. You see, ever since he found out that Darcie─ his daughter, is a nut job, he's been one himself. And what a pity I've never known him before his condition.