NEW. 57. No matter the cost

57. No matter the cost

I quickly shove everything in my bag.
Which isn't a whole lot, but I'm too eager to go back. To eager to be with my Hazel again.
One night and I cant wait to see her again, hear her voice, make her smile.
"All ready?" Casper walks into my room, hands in his pockets
I nod "Everyone else is ready as well, I suppose?"
My parents arrived this morning, to congratulate me and take Casper and I home. It wasn't necessary, but I appericiate the gesture.
Casper and I reach the sitting area of the residence, my mother and father are seated on one couch, Darcie standing by my mother's side, grinning at me in a way I'm sure Hazel would kill her for.
"Are we waiting for something?" I ask, setting my bag down on a table
My father gestures to the couch across from theirs "Sit for a minute."
I resist the urge to look back at Casper as I ask; something I should know?
Tell me when you find out, he says
Stiffly, I settle down, part of me irritated at the delay, anxious to return to Elise as fast as possible.
"I should hope its nothing of concern," I say
"On the contrary," My mother begins with a small smile "I think you'd be happy, Darling."
"Now that you've succeeded in securing your title," Father says "You mother and I think its time for you to finally settle down peacefully in your life."
I raise an eyebrow. Well, that explains Darcie's grin.
"And a very special girl would be happy to spend her life with you." Mother says, if possible Darcie grins broader
Casper holds a hand in front of his face, probably to hide his own amused smile. I lean back in my seat, knowing that my parents probably have good intentions regarding this suggestion, and trying to shove that thought onto the ragging fury at even the idea.
"Indeed, a very special girl would like to spend her life with me," I say
Then I hold up my hand. A ring glistering on it.
Its suddenly gone very quiet.
"Oh my moon," My mother's hands fly to her mouth "Did you... have you..."
I nod, my lips quirk upward "I've found my mate."
...
To say my parents were surprised would be an understatement. I'd be too, if someone told me I'd find my mate on this Hunt.
Despite my father's demands to tell him immediately where she is, I manage to keep the information to myself. I'd rather they meet her in person.
The car drive would've been awkward, but I was too far gone in my own thoughts to care much for Darcie's sniveling and Casper's attempts to appease his twin. Though they both fought like animals all the time, I suppose its only humane if Casper allows Darcie to weep all over his shirt.
It almost makes me wonder what I would do if I had a sister.
By the time we reach our territory, I'm barely holding myself back from either tapping my foot or my fingers against something.
We were originally supposed to arrive by afternoon, but since my parents arrived, our plans were delightfully changed and now, with the sun barely up, we're here. Most of the pack is probably still asleep.
I refrain myself from grinning at the thought of surprising Hazel.
I excuse myself to go for a walk while the rest of the party makes their way to the pack mansion. Casper looks over his shoulder and winks at me; Tell Elise I say hi! He all but yells down the pack bond.
When all of them are finally inside the mansion, I quickly pivot towards the Omega quarters, my exhilaration increasing by the second.
I knock at the door, and barely a few moments pass before someone opens it.
"A-Alpha Luke!" The boy quickly bows his head in greeting "We were told you'd be here later in the day, Sir! We'll start on the feast preparation right away, Alpha, if you would only wait a bit for the head Omega to—"
"That wouldn't be necessary," I tell him "You can do everything as scheduled before."
"Oh," He blinks animatedly "Anything we can do for you then, Alpha?"
"Is everyone awake?"
"Most of us, yes."
"Is Elise awake?" I ask, holding back the urge to just walk inside. I doubt all the Omegas would like to see the new Alpha Surpeme first thing in the morning
"Elise, uh," He shifts awkwardly on his feet "Elise is, she's not here Alpha."
I'm staring at him blankly "No?"
"Alpha Jax," He gets out, his eyes widening "He, umm, kicked her out last night. Her mum left this morning, Alpha."
...
I'm pacing around the room, my claws appearing and retracting, anger and reason causing a riot in my head.
My father's office is packed. My mother, Beta Drake, Beta female Clara, Darcie, Casper, all of them and not a single one has any idea where my mate is.
I whirl on my father, who's sitting in his office chair, his face infuriatingly stoic.
"I told you not to do that." My words come out as a growl
I'd called him, before proposing, and I'd told him not to act on the contract before I come back. For once in my life, I tell him not to do something. And he fucking does it anyways.
"Did it occur to you that you should tell me she's your mate?" My father narrows his fierce brown eyes
My fingers stay pointed "Did it occur to you that you if I'm telling you not to do something I might have a damn reason?"
Her mom isn't here. The head omega isn't here. Neither of Elise's friends are here and no one in this damn pack has any idea where any of them went.
I resume my pacing, going over the possibilities of where she might be. She mentioned once that she'd go to the human society after leaving the pack. She would probably be in the city somewhere.
I turn to Casper and open my mouth to tell him we're going to look for her when the door knocks.
"Apologies," The warrior that enters says "But the matter is important, Alpha Supreme."
"What is it?" I snap
He pales a bit "Carlous is back, Alpha. Along with Mrs, Attwood and—
I don't wait for him to finish before I rush out of the office. She's back, thank heavens she's back. I'm never going to let her out of my sight like this again.
I race down the stairs towards the sitting area, Casper right behind me. I see a bob of dark hair, the warrior uniform as the young man paces around.
"Alpha Supreme," his eyes snap to mine, brows pinched together
But my eyes sweep around the room. I see Mrs. Attwood, and the head Omega Morgan but I don't see—
My eyes snap back to Carlous "Where is she?"
His shoulders tense, he puts a hand at his forehead. Mrs. Attwood and Morgan pale, I have the vague feeling of a man under water.
"Not where she should've been." Carolus pulls out a piece of paper from his pocket, the scent of it painfully familiar
My eyes go over the words "What do you mean that she isn't there?"
"We just came from Alpha Parks' territory," Its Morgan that answers me "And she inst there. Neither is my daughter."
"Angelina and Elise left for Alpha Ethan's place last night." Carolus says, pacing around "And Elise had left her mom a note saying I'd escort her to the pack this morning. But when we reached there..."
Its only due to years of practice that I refrain from blowing up. Years of tolerance and patience that allow me to keep my breathing controlled.
"Alpha Ethan sent his warriors to search around the pack territory," Carolus says "We came here hoping at least to find Angelina."
"Casper, get a team of warriors ready," I pocket the note in my hand "We're going there right now."
"I'll come too," Carolus says
I nod, the three of us moving towards the door when a small voice stops me.
"You're her mate."
I turn back, Mrs. Attwood walk over to me. Her resemblance with her daughter uncanny.
"She told you?" I ask, my voice losing its edge
Which is what I should've done. I should've just told my father. Then she'd be here, with me, safe—
"Find my daughter, Alpha." Mrs. Attwood's voice breaks slightly "Please."
And every single fiber in my body is begging me to tear the world apart, and look for my mate like some half hysterical animal, but I manage to rein it all in enough to put my hands on her shoulders.
"I promise, I'll bring her back." I tell her, then meet Morgan's gaze across the room "Both of them."
I'll bring her back.
No matter the cost.

...

Please comment and vote!