Chapter 32: Awkward Conversations

I grabbed a bottle of Jack from Turner's and walked around the strip for about half hour or so, thinking about what I was going to say to her.

How the fuck did I have so much to say yet when I actually thought about it to try get my words in order, my mind went completely blank!?

I stopped at a pay phone on one of the quieter streets just off the strip, and placed the almost empty bottle on top of the machine. I reached into my pocket for the scrap of paper and sighed as I looked down at it.

I picked up the phone, put some change I had in the little slot and punched in the numbers before I even had chance to second guess myself.

As it started to dial, I took a deep breath. My palms were sweaty, my stomach was in knots, I could feel myself trembling.

You know what... maybe this isn't the best idea. What if Dave answers or she answers and she doesn't wanna talk to me? We didn't leave things on the best terms...

I went to hang the phone up but as I took it away from my ear, I heard that voice I'd been pining to hear...

"H-Hello?"

Liv's POV:
I woke up and I instantly clenched at my tummy as I rolled onto my side. Last time I was in pain like this I'd been on a 3 day bender and thrown up the contents of an entire brewery.

I squinted my eyes as a beam of sunlight beamed through a gap in the curtains. I rubbed my eyes and then it hit me... I overdosed...and I'm still alive!?

I groaned and winced as I rolled onto my back. I looked next to me and saw Dave fast asleep. I started to admire his features... his chiselled jawline... the way his lips were always pursed when he was asleep... how ridiculously perfect his eyebrows were naturally shaped... being back in this room and seeing him lying there, it took me back to all those years ago when we used to sneak around behind my parents back.

I looked up at the ceiling and bit the skin around my nails as I thought about last night.

What the fuck was I thinking!?

I glanced back over at Dave and thought about how he saved my life, and how I'd never seen him cry before. He was so petrified. I couldn't remember a lot from last night, but one thing I'll never forget is the level of fear in that mans eyes.

I let out a little sigh and decided I needed to get up. Dave needed the rest and although I was completely and utterly exhausted, I needed to smooth things over with him after last night. I knew there was a lot we needed to talk about so I decided I was going to clean up and then make him breakfast in bed.

I put on my black satin robe and tied it as I quietly walked out of my room and headed for the bathroom, stepping over the squeaky floorboards like I used to as a kid. I opened the door to the bathroom and the place was sparkling clean. I looked back at my bedroom door and back into the bathroom, looking around at how pristine everything was. I checked the bin and saw everything in there, it really bought it home to me what I'd done and as I looked at the tub, I had flashbacks to Dave screaming at me and forcing his fingers down my throat.

I pulled myself together and walked downstairs, heading for the kitchen. If I was going to get through today, I needed coffee and a lot of food to help soak up the oxy that was still floating around in my system.

I turned on the coffee machine and as it started brewing, the phone started to ring. I ran over, hoping it didn't wake Dave, and prayed it was the hospital giving me some good news about my mum.

"H-Hello?" I asked groggily.

...

I frowned and pulled the phone away from my ear as I looked at it. I pressed it against my ear again. "Hello?" I asked more abruptly.