Part 1

Hey Besties, this is my #Resse fanfic! Of course is everything a joke, this is just an au. I hope that Jesse Klaver and Rob Jetten stay happy within their own relationships and any comment that might be made in this story about their partners is just for the story, and not a reflection of real life. From what I've seen they look really happy in their relationships and I stan a bromance. So again: this is just for fun! There's no truth to it (in this universe.. I hope). (Ps. I only wrote this because I wanna make Jesse a top) xx

~Rob's perspective~

The chair on my right was empty. It had been that way for a week now. Jesse was not handling his divorce well. I knew it would be hard to get through for him, as I've also been through a divorce recently, but I knew he would be happier. It started about a year ago. Jesse showed up at my door, unannounced, on the verge of crying. He had gotten into a massive fight with Jolein. Sjoerd and I comforted him. In the months that followed, he looked more and more distracted and stressed out. I watched him grow more tired, until he finally took a day off, and another, and another. Calling me up crying, coming to my house. Sjoerd got jealous, but who could blame him for it? "If you finally realize you're in a relationship with me, and not him, you can call me back!" were the last words he said, or shouted, before slamming the door and leaving with a suitcase full of clothing. Jesse and I cried together that night. 

So when the news came about his divorce, I wasn't surprised. I thought Sjoerd would have come to his senses, but couldn't bring myself to contact him. As Jesse and I had grown closer, an old spark had ignited, trying to pop his head out every time I saw Jesse roll his pen between his fingers, or his hands pushing up his sleeves to reveal his elbows. I thought that I should go talk to Sjoerd after Jesse had gone through the divorce and picked up the pieces of his shattered life. But he contacted me first. After reflecting on what happened, he told me he realized he had been searching for a reason to break up. He didn't do it consciously, but he did it anyway. He told me he had met somebody, and that he thought we should go our own separate ways. 

I was heartbroken, but also... relieved? I finally didn't have to feel guilty about my feelings for another man, at least to him. I felt sorry for everyone involved. Sjoerd didn't deserve my lack of attention, Jolein didn't deserve to have her life fall apart because of the country's state, Jesse didn't deserve going through so much stress and their children... oh my God their children. It's normal for people to fall out of love, to start getting annoyed with the little things you always adored, but it's hard to see children seeing their parents fall apart. Especially if it's in a fighting manner. I think Jesse would've also preferred a peaceful way. 

My eyes wander through the chamber, my heart trying to ignore the cold space next to me. I look over my notes, nervous about my speech. Even when you thought you missed nothing, that one question could come from anybody, which would let your entire plan crumble to the ground. Trying to stay put and fight for your plan, while simultaniously trying to find a solution for that annoying problem was rather difficult, and I hoped I don't have to go through that situation today. Sigrid Kaag sits down next to me. After she lies her papers she turns towards me.

"Are you prepared for your speech?"

"I sincerely hope so."

"Have you heard anything from Jesse?" she nods at the seat next to me.

"What, why?" - He wasn't even from her party, why was she so concerned? Or did she know-

"Because I'm also friends with him and I care about his mental health, whether he's in my party or not."

"Oh I didn't - well I uh... sorry hold up." He took a sip of his water, trying to calm his nerves.

"I hope your speech goes better."

"Haha, no I haven't heard from him, but I don't know if he would contact me."

"Well you two do seem to get along, and you've both been through a divorce."

"I-I guess. But he has other friends.."

"Hmm, I suppose that's true. I just thought he wanted to tell his special friend."

"His what now."

Sigrid smiles and turnes away. I try to get her attention again, but Vera Bergkamp orders silence. As I stand in front of the parlement, I feel myself calm down. I can do this. My speech went well, though I did miss one face shining like a beacon from the crowd. I tried to ignore it, but Sigrid's words kept stinging in the back of my head.