Part 25

Sorry besties, but this is very important to the story line✨✨

~Jesse's perspective~

I check the message again, just to make sure it's real.

"I'm on my way!"

What did she want? She said she wanted to talk about something, and that she missed my cooking. So I offered to make her dinner. But why? She couldn't possibly be thinking we would get back together? It's true that my feelings have failed me. The old love had reignited, as it always did. But the new love was still stronger. It's hard to think about somebody else when you can stare at him.

I take another look in the pans. Nothing's burned yet. I did make her favorite. Was that too much? I shuffle around awkwardly. This might have been a bad idea... Should I call it off?

But Jolein is probably almost here anyway. I could always... fuck up the food? But I also had to eat it. And who says she is gonna do any harm? She might just wanna talk about finances or something.

The doorbell makes me jump. Okay, okay, this is gonna be fine. I turn down the heat and make my way to the door. I take a deep breath and open it.

"Hi!"

"Hello."

She walks straight past me and hangs her coat. On her spot. Her spot...

"I brought the nice wine."

She's wearing her warm smile, the one I've been missing in my house.

"Great, it goes perfectly with the food I made."

She walks into the kitchen and lifts a lid.

"My favorite??"

Her face has lighten up when she faces me again.

"But of course."

"Ahw you remembered."

"It's been your favorite for the past 5 years, what do you mean I remembered? It's burned into my soul at this point."

She laughs even though it wasn't that funny. I grow a bit uncomfortable. What is happening?

"Mmm you still have those snarky comments, don't you?"

I don't know how to answer. All I can think of is how bad of an idea this was.

"Well, if you're finished I can set the table, I know you don't like that."

She winks and starts opening cupboards. I get mad at my stomach and heart for responding and try to focus on finishing dinner.

Everything about our dinner feels automated. I immediately regret pulling her chair back so she can sit down, even though I didn't realize I was doing it.  Why am I behaving like a gentleman? The bottle of wine opens with a loud pop. I fill up our glasses and sit down. She takes a sip.

"Just as good as I remembered."

"Well, dig in."