Part 19

~Jesse's perspective~

The hospital smells like cleaning products, the white on the walls almost blinding me. I keep looking at the blue floor.

"Jesse!"

I look up and almost feel relieved, but then I remember: twins.

"Hey, how is she?"

"She's stable..."

There she is. Her beautiful face is bruised, cuts ruining the soft skin she always takes such good care of.

"Oh my god..."

I want to walk towards her, I want to make sure it's really her or....I don't know what I want, but it feels like I should go to her. But I remember the man sitting in my house, wrapped in a blanket. I carefully move around to the other corner, making sure I'm not too close.

"Where are the kids?"

"My husband is taking care of them, but they'll come over soon."

"I could take them for the night if it's too much trouble..."

"Well, taking in my nephews isn't that much trouble.... but I suppose you are their father and you haven't seen them in a while so..."

She gets distracted by her sister, I look back at the floor. I will see my kids again. I truly missed them, missed the enthusiastic energy that I'm used to getting home to. I missed hearing their laughter as I'm cooking. I miss tearing them apart while watching television. I miss their smiles as they show me what they learned or did today... But I don't know if it will be the same without her.

I try to shake off the thought. I don't dare to look at her, Rob taking over my thoughts. I shouldn't be here. But I had to, my kids need me. And you can't just not show up when someone who you love is in the hospital. On the other hand, I'm kind of with Rob now, and he isn't here to support me. Even though I'm not looking at her face I still see it. It finally reflects the hurt on the inside. I'm so lost in thought that I don't hear the footsteps until I hear the voice I started to hate over the last few days.

"Oh my.."

I look up and I see him, Jonathan. A wave of hate runs through me when he has the guts to move closer.

"What are you doing here?"

He stops and turns around, apparently he didn't notice me when he first walked in. He looks me up and down with a scornful glance.

"What are you doing here?"

"I asked you first."

"Well I'm currently... romantically involved with Jolein-"

"Jolein never mentioned anybody." the owner of the voice now standing protectively next to her sister, blocking his view of her.

I smile at her, happy she backs me up.

"Well I-"

"When was the last time you two talked?"

"Almost a week ago but-"