Part 18

I got inspired by Olivia Rodrigo so now there's some of Jolein's perspective, haha. @CelinaLiebtFfs , you're probably gonna shoot me after the following parts lol. Actually, I think every single one of you will kill me lol. Enjoy xx.

~Jolein's perspective~

Two weeks. It took him two weeks to move on from our marriage. Maybe even less. He didn't even let me explain, he just assumed the worst. I never wanted Jonathan, it's always been Jesse. Ever since he called out my name that day on the station, it has been Jesse. And I thought it had only been me. I tried so hard to be enough, and I thought I was. I truly thought I was enough for him, like how he was enough for me.

Until Rob walked into our lives. I didn't think anything of it. Just two guys being dudes. Sure, it hurt a little bit when I heard them laugh loudly as I was putting the children in bed, but that's what friends do right? You laugh loudly, more than with your partner, right? Especially if they're new friends, and you haven't told them everything yet. They're more exciting than your partner, who by now can predict what you'll say.
And him staying over at Rob's house was just because he saw some old friends but needed to do some work, in silence, without... distraction...
Guess that was a lie too.

And now he was at our house, I recognized the bike. And he still told me they didn't sleep together.

"News flash: I'm not sleeping with Rob!"

I get onto the highway, the tears streaming down my face. What did I do wrong?

"Jonathan."

Stupid Jonathan. I just said yes to get him to stop asking. I thought I would shake him off after making the first date a disaster, but he's still trying. I never felt anything for the guy, but I didn't have an excuse anymore after going through a divorce. Especially not since I had thrown all of my emotional baggage on him. He called me about work after my first fight with Jesse, and I made the dumb decision to open up.

And now he thinks I replaced him, within two weeks, and I think he replaced me within two weeks. Fuck, what if he's telling the truth? Should I go back? No, I can't. That happened two days ago, I need to get away from my own kids, they remind me too much of him. What kind of mother can't even look at her children?
My tears are blocking my view, I don't see the vehicle swerving on top of me.

~Jesse's perspective~

Peace. Complete peace is what I feel when I look at the man lying on my lap, my hands stroking through his soft hair. The Walking Dead is playing on the TV. I thought he would like it, but he fell asleep halfway through the first episode. As I look at his calm, sleeping face I can't help but feel content. My fingers follow the patterns his hair makes, the color reminding me of the tea I just finished, my eyes float to our cups on the table. A tangerine peel is lying next to them.

"You want a slice?"

"Yes please!"

I pop a slice into his mouth, my fingers lingering. I see his Adam's apple going up and down, his eyes closed as he enjoys the taste. The corners of his mouth moving up and his eyes open. I see his pupils dilating, a little spark reflecting, contrasting with the brown. I lean in to taste it too. I feel his smile against my lips.

"Let's go and watch your series, I'm really excited to see it!"

I take some tangerines with me, he takes the two cups of tea. He stretches out on my lap as the Netflix sound is heard. I sit back after hitting play and roll another tangerine between my hands. He opens his mouth and I feed him some slices. His happiness makes my heart smile....

The phone rings, disturbing his peace. I angrily grab my phone out of my pocket as he looks around, clearly confused about his surroundings.

"Sorry..."

"Oh, don't worry..."

He lays down again and I look at the screen. It's her... sister? Why would she call me?

"Hello?"

~Rob's perspective~

I feel my head fall against the couch as he gets up.

"Ow!"

But he's too busy with his phone.

"What do you mean..."
....
"Is she alright?"
....
"Are the children alright?"

Children? What? I look at him, but he shakes his hand, he doesn't even look at me. I get up and wrap the blanket around myself.

"Okay... alright... no it's okay...Haga? Okay... I'm coming... okay... see you soon.. bye."

"What happened?"

"Jolein, she's in the hospital."

"Oh my god, is she alright?"

"Well, she's not dead."

"Comforting."

"Well, I'm going to the hospital. I don't know if I can make you dinner tonight..."

"Can't I come with you?"

"Uhhh, I don't know if taking your secret boyfriend to the hospital where your ex-wife is fighting for your life is the proper etiquette but.."

I only heard one word; boyfriend. Did-

"Yeah, right... I'll just get- home.... see you tomorrow?"

"I hope so, could you lock the door on your way out?"

He already has his coat on.

"Uhh, yeah... sure..."

"Okay, bye bye."

And he's gone. The spot next to me is still warm, the tv still showing his show, the tangerine he peeled still lying on the table. I wrap the blanket even closer, feeling the doubts creeping up again. Why did he run to her so quickly? Stop it, she's in the hospital, he's probably checking up on his kids. But why couldn't I come? We don't have a public relationship, and if she woke up- no- when she wakes up and that's the first thing she hears... yes, that's the logical explanation. Nothing else happening. Nothing else...

Right. Nothings else.