Part 9

~Rob's perspective~

"What are you thinking about?"

"Hmm?"

"You look lost in thought, why?"

"Oh I was thinking about how.... the teens that made those tiktoks would go insane if they found out we slept on top of each other."

Wow, what a good safe, you couldn't have said anything that would make this less awkward then right now. 
We're sitting on the couch again, holding our second cup of coffee. The light is filtered by the trees standing outside, giving the room a happy green glow. I'm still wearing his hoodie, it's soft and warm, and I like that it's his.

"They would freak out..."

"But everyone else would also freak out... in a bad way..."

"Because of a couple thing or the homophobia?"

"Both I think. They would probably say I turned you gay or something."

"I had a wife, they should at least call me bi or pan."

"They don't know the terms."

"Coming out as bi- or pansexual would also cause something."

"Yeah, but you need to be pansexual in order to come out. And you can't use sexuality for getting votes. You need to convince them with your ideas."

"Who said I only fall for women?"

I feel my heart beating in my throat. He's not straight?

"You said it. Last year, when the Resse ship was happening... You said you were straight."

"Well maybe it changed."

"Okay, but it's still bad to use it to get votes."

I take a sip of my coffee. I try to ignore the color, but when I look back up it's staring at me. He looks annoyed.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just that I came out to you and your response is about politics."

My heart drops. "Sorry, I just kind of... forgot..."

"Forgot what?"

"The coming out thing..."

He takes a sip as I try to figure out what to say.

"Am I... uhh no wait. First of all- I'm proud of you for figuring it out and telling me. Am I the first person who knows, apart- apart from you of course?"

"Yes."

"Oh." He told me first? 

"I'm honored."

There was a bit of an uncomfortable silence. What did I want to hear?

"Goddammit Rob." I hear his cup aggressively being placed on the table.

I look up in confusion. He's pacing around, his hand on the bridge of his nose, massaging it firmly. I want to ask what's wrong, or say anything for that matter, but I have no clue what's going on. He stops and looks at me, his mouth opens but he changes his mind and turns around again. I don't understand what's happening so I put down my mug and just sit there. Watching. Waiting.

He finally turns around and opens his mouth.

"You don't understand, do you?"

"No...?"

He opens up the cabinet next to him and takes out a bottle of whiskey.

"Hey, we weren't gonna do alcohol, remember?" I get up and gently take the bottle out of his hand. I lock the liquor cabinet and pocket the key.