𝑀𝑦 𝐻𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒

'I just have to get a few things' she had said before we parted ways. I got home and mum was sitting on the couch sobbing at the tv where two people were arguing about something.
"Hey mum, you okay?" I asked as I hung my bag next to the front door and sat my board beneath it
"Oh it's just the show honey. He's cheating on her and she has no clue. She's about to find out that it's all true"
"Hey, is it okay if I borrow your car to go out for dinner with a friend?" I asked, attempting a casual conversation
She sniffled her nose sharply and turned around, tissue still in hand.
"Dinner with a friend?" She raised her eyebrows at me and stared at me
"Oh, yeah. She's goes to my school" I mumbled
"She? So you're going out for dinner with a GIRL?" She stood up and walked over to me. Though she was shorter than me I felt as though she was looking down at me, not up.
I tried to say something but I couldn't think of what to say.
I saw mums face bend as if she was about to yell at me when there was a knock at the door. Talk about being saved by the bell.
"I'll deal with you later young man" she said softly before heading to the door. I took the opportunity to bolt upstairs and change out of my school clothes and into some tight black jeans with a few rips over the thigh and knee area then threw on a loose white shirt with a pastel sunset on the front. As I walked out the door I slung a black band around my neck and the small pendant fell to land against my chest. I started down the stairs when I heard her.
"That's okay Miss Moore. I'm sure you two will have fun"
"Thanks Mrs Stone. He's really something special"
"Please, call me Nicole. Speak of the devil" she turned around to face me and I saw Alexis standing just behind her. Her outfit had changed too, high waisted blue jeans clinging onto her hips and legs, a black flowing long sleeved shirt cut just below her chest showing off the small belt looped around her waist all complimented by some high heeled black lace up ankle boots. She looked stunning.
"Alexis here told me you two were going out for a casual dinner. Judging by your outfit it's quite casual" mum joked. I noticed Alexis eyeing me up and down leading me to hope she thought I looked as good as I first thought I had
"Well I'm glad you had a nice little chat about me but we should probably get going" I said as I walked passed them both and slipped on my black and white shoes.
"Don't wake me up when you get home and make you're safe and protected" mum said as she threw me the car keys and started towards the stairs.
"It was nice meeting you Alexis" she added before disappearing up the stairs. I groaned as I held the door for Alexis then followed her out.
"She's nice" she said as she passed me and I closed the door behind us.
"It's new. Also kind of weird" I said as we started walking towards the garage.
"You can drive?" She asked as I unlocked the car and we got in.
"I got my license back in my old town but dad got a new car through work and gave this shit box to mum " I said as she giggled
"So where are we going?" She asked after I'd gotten the car started.
"I don't actually know" I laughed
"I got you baby. Turn right"
I followed her directions that lead us straight out of town and onto the quiet stretch of road that weaved between clusters of trees and wide open fields.
"So, Luka, what kind of music do you listen to?" She asked as she started flipping through the stations.
"Usually country"
"Cute. Love a good bit of country music myself. It's about all I can play so it doesn't surprise me"
"You play?" I asked as I rested my arm on the door and my left hand on my lap
"Guitar. I'm not great but I used to get quite bored back at home so I taught myself a little"
"I taught myself too. I went to a friends when I was about 10 and his brother taught us both the basics but I just loved the way it sounded so I kept playing"
"Same! It's such a beautiful sound" she lent her head back and closed her eyes with a smile on her face. I reached out behind her seat and pulled out a CD and gave it to her
"Try that one" I said as I switched off the radio and turned it over to the CD player. She put the CD in and turned it up before taking my free hand and intertwining her fingers with mine as we continued the drive.
We turned a corner and a larger town came into view and I continued following Alexis' directions until we pulled up at a small restaurant.
"What it lacks in looks it makes up for in food. Seriously, this place is incredible" she said as she got out of the car. I got out behind her and after locking the car I stuffed the keys into my pocket along with my phone. We walked through the door and a small bell chimed alerting a small girl with blonde hair pulled into a tight high pony who came running over to us.
"Hey Alex!" She called as she gave Alexis a hug
"Hey Brit! Can I get a table for two this time?" She asked with a soft smile. The girl turned to face me and her brows rose before she started to whisper to Alexis.
"Is he with you or can I have him?" She said quietly into Alexis' ear
Alexis laughed and placed her hand on my lower back
"This is Luka" she said as the blonde one nodded and held her hand out to me
"I'm Brittany" she said, her voice high and squeaky. I took her hand and gave her a smile
"It's nice to meet you Brittany. As Alexis said, I'm Luka" she giggled and pulled out a tablet from her apron and started off towards a table with Alexis and I in tow.
"Let me know if you need anything" she said with a wink and walked off
"She was so flirting with you" Alexis grumbled as we sat down opposite each other at the small table in the far corner.
"Are you jealous, Alexis?" I laughed as we picked up the Menus
"No"
I looked at her over the menu and watched as her cheeks went red
"Okay, yes. A little. Only I can flirt with you" she mumbled as she put the menu down revealing her bottom lip which was caught between her teeth. I peeled my eyes away from her and read over the different foods listed on the laminated paper.
"What do you recommend?" I asked her.
"Literally anything. It's all amazing. It depends what you like though" she traced her finger over the menu while she watched me
"Have you two decided what you'll be having?" Brittany asked as she walked up to the table holding her tablet.
"Thanks Brittany. I'll get the usual. As usual" she laughed and Brit started to type away with a smile on her face
"I don't know why I even ask you any more. How about you Luka?" She asked sweetly, her eyelashes batting away.
"Ill get the Barbecue Stacker thanks" I replied
"Did you want it on its own or with fries?"
"Fries please"
"No worries handsome, I'll be back soon" she spun around and walked off towards the back
"The fucking audacity of that bitch astounds me" Alexis grumbled with her brows furrowed
"Hey, she thinks I'm handsome" I stirred
"You're my Handsome. She can get her own"
"Yours, am I?" I questioned
"Well.. yes.. I think, I mean, I hope" she stuttered
"I'll be yours if you be mine" I said softly
"You want me to be your handsome?"
"Be my girlfriend. Then you can tell her to piss off away from your handsome"
Her eyes shot up at mine and I could practically hear her heartbeat pounding from here
"Okay" she whispered, her voice breaking
"Okay?" I repeated
"Okay" she confirmed with a smile