𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝐷𝑜

Alexis and I had spent a few hours each night training out in the forest for the past week which had definitely made school a lot harder now that I'm hardly sleeping.
"I don't know how you do it" I yawned to Alexis as we sat in our last class for the day.
"I've never really slept much so I'm used to it. I forget that you need sleep too" she laughed
"How about you skip training tonight and catch up on some rest?"
"I'd love to say no but I might have to"
Alexis giggled and kissed my cheek before packing her books up
"You leaving early?" I asked
"Yeah, just some things I need to do before dinner" she smiled and darted out the door without the teacher realising.

********

After class had finished I headed home for a shower before starting on dinner. Just as I was finishing dinner I heard Alexis knocking softly on my window, something she's been doing lately as only I can hear it and mum hasn't been in much of a good mood.
"Come on down, mums out" I said in the empty room. Good thing she has crazy good hearing.
"Hey babe" Alexis chimed as she trotted down the stairs and sat at the table while I plated our dinner
"Hey yourself. Get everything sorted?" I asked as I joined her at the table with our food.
"Sure did. Dinner smells amazing" she smiled and I noticed it didn't reach her eyes as usual.
"Everything okay?" I questioned
"Yep. Great. All good. No problems here" Alexis stabbed the meat with her fork before looking up at me and smiling again
"Lex, don't lie to me"
She opened her mouth to speak before closing it again with frustration then repeated it a few more times before dropping her fork and putting her face in her hands.
"You've been super on edge and constantly out and all the training? What's going on Alexis?" I asked as I reached over and rubbed her arm gently.
"I don't want to freak you out" she mumbled into her palms
"You won't, just talk to me"
"Someone has been here. A werewolf. I don't know them and I can smell them all around the outside of your house but it just disappears" she admitted in a huff as she looked up to me.
"How does that work? Shouldn't you be able to smell their human part?"
"The only scents in here are ours and your parents" Alexis said, her face covered in worry
"How long can a scent stick around for? Dad hasn't been here since we first moved and that was weeks ago"
"Not that long unless it's something they have used frequently"
"What do you mean?" I asked, clearly confused.
"Like, your pillows, they smell so rich of you even when you haven't slept there for a few nights. Or your favourite jeans that you wear all the time, after a wash, they still smell like you"
"Jeez, I hope it smells good" I joked
"Incredible" she smiled
"Well that's not fair. I want to smell something of yours like that"
"You make it sound creepy" she laughed
"You make it sound like I'm missing out"
"Oh, just wait until you shift and your little wolfy nose takes over" she closed her eyes with a soft smile
"I bet you stink" I teased
"You'll love it, whatever it is" she sounded so proud and sure of herself
"Hey, how long does it take?" I questioned quietly
"For me to shift?" I added after she raised her brow
"It's different for everyone. Mother only took two weeks though" Alexis started to eat her food again between the conversation
"Wait, your mum was turned?" I asked
"Well, yeah. Though father had gotten the approval from the elder council and it was all supervised to make sure nothing went wrong but yeah. Apparently having a little wolf baby makes pregnancy too hard for humans"
"You talk about all of this like it's normal" I joked quietly
"It is normal. Just because you grew up knowing nothing about it doesn't mean it's not normal" she retorted
"Yeah I guess. It's just so weird to hear about"
"Honestly, I don't know why you haven't shifted yet. You've only shown some minimal signs that most show within the first few days"
"Are you sure you even turned me?" I laughed
"Luka" she whined
"I did everything exactly the way I read when I was younger and double checked after I got you home and made sure you weren't dead. If I didn't do it right you would be dead by now anyway I think" she added.
"You think?"
"Well, I mean, I know werewolves can heal but they always talk about the feeling and I didn't get any of that so I'm pretty sure I didn't just heal you. Plus you can run way faster than any normal human"
"Maybe I should join the track team" I joked
"Seriously, you're an ass".

********

I rolled over and reached out for my phone that was vibrating on the bedside table to see a bright 𝟺.𝟹𝟽𝚊𝚖 glowing above a few messages from Alexis.

𝟸:𝟷𝟻𝚊𝚖 Alexis - hey, are you awake?
𝟸:𝟹𝟷𝚊𝚖 Alexis - I'm guessing you're not
𝟺:𝟷𝟿𝚊𝚖 Alexis - the wolf is back. I'm not sure when but it's fresh and I'm trying to follow it but it's just going in circles.
Me- hey, I'm awake now. What's up? Everything all good?

Not a second later I heard what sounded like twigs breaking outside. I got up and headed over to the window and pushed it open gently expecting to see Alexis only I saw two dark red eyes peering around a tree. I felt my phone vibrate in my hand again and looked down

Alexis - whatever you do, don't go outside

Panicking, I looked back outside except the eyes were gone. My eyes darted around the forests edge but I couldn't see anything until I saw a small light brown wolf charge into the backyard before stopping and looking up at me with her gorgeous deep black eyes.
I heard her whine before running around down the side of the house then moments later I heard the front door open slowly. I opened my bedroom door in time to catch Alexis as she fell into me with a tight hug
"Thank goddess you're okay" she breathed into my neck and she tightened her arms around my waist
"Of course I'm okay, what's going on?" I asked, closing the door and hugging her back
"I was chasing him. I was so close I could feel his anger then he just vanished and I ran into your backyard" Alexis spoke into my chest as she rubbed her face into my bare skin, not loosening her grip on me.
"I saw his eyes" I said quietly. She looked up at me with concern.
"What colour were they?" She questioned
"Like, a red I think?"
"Fuck" she swore then began pacing and repeating.
"What does that mean?" I asked trying to grab her hand only for her to pull away.
"Fuck. Of course. How did I not see that? He's a fucking Alpha!" She growled
"An alpha? Like leader of a pack, Alpha? In my backyard watching me?" I asked as I started pulling at my hair. Alexis stopped pacing and turned to face me, her anger quickly dissipating into worry.
"Hey, you'll be okay. I won't let anything happen to you Luka" she spoke softly as she ran her hands over my cheeks and into my hair
"It's not me I'm worried about"