Chapter 28

Aria Day

I was home alone tonight, Dad had Josh and Riley was at his sister's house.

I felt bad for Riley, he'd told me what happened to him this morning and I hated it. Riley asked me not to tell Dad because he was doing enough as it is and I hate to agree. Mom was putting a big strain on Dad, I didn't want him to have another heart attack.

My phone was ringing and I answered it.

"Hey baby." I answered.

"Whatcha up to?" He asked me, sounding excited.

"Nothing much, just laying down alone."

"Awe, I'm sorry. I'll make sure to call you before I sleep so we can go together." I smiled at his sweet gesture. Seems like being there brought his spirits up.

"Alrighty baby."

"Oh and I called you to tell you, guess what?"

"What?"

"You know Josh's friend Ash he's been talking about? He was  adopted by Fin and Skylar. How crazy is that? We can all hang together after all it this is done with." I laughed a little at his excitement.

"Okay, that's surprising, but I'm glad things worked out that way. You seem happier."

"I am. I feel better, haven't thought about everything much. Just been vibing yunno? Only thing I've been thinking is I miss you." I smiled giddily. Aweee my baby.

"I miss you too baby. I could use one of your big hugs right now." I could, but I just felt like I wanted to hold my baby. He's been through so much and he doesn't deserve it.

"Mhmm, me too. I could just squeeze you so tight right now." I laughed, sighing a little.

"Hey Riley?"

"Wassup baby?"

"You should let me take you out on a date when all of this is over. By date, I mean a weekend of just you and me. I don't quite know what we'll do yet but... I think we need a get away."

"Mmm. I love the sound of that, baby girl. I'm down for whatever you'll have planned." I sighed.

"Good. Go ahead and enjoy your brother and his family. I love you."

"I love you too, baby." He made a kissing noise on the phone before he hung up. I laughed to myself and sat back on the couch.

A little while later, around 6pm I heard a knock at the door.

Damn, Riley's gotta get those cameras put on my phone.

I went to the peephole and looked out. Mom.

I groaned internally, wondering if I should open the door. She began to knock again.

"I know you're here, I hear the television. Open it up!" I heard her on the other side.

Reluctantly, I opened the door. She pushed by me and into the house.

"Where is he? Because I'll have the police over in no time, Aria." I furrowed my eyebrows angrily.

"He's not here, Mom. You ran him out. What makes you think you have the right to choose who I date?" She moved around the house, looking for Riley as I followed her.

"I am your mother!"

"I'm an adult! You have no say in anything I do!"

"Well you have my grandson now and I have to know you're taking care of him." She looked unsatisfied once she saw Riley wasn't here.