Chapter 27

Harley Johnson

The car ride back to the house was weird, to me. I felt odd and shaky. I hated Aria's mother, but I also hated myself.

I called myself a father figure to Josh but I'd done something like this. I couldn't forgive myself.

One day, I would have to explain this to Josh and I would have no way to tell him that I set his dad up to die. I can't push off the deed to my father or no one else. I'm man enough to admit my wrong doings.

"Riley?" I picked my head up off the window and turned to Aria.

"Hmm?" I asked her, confused. She glanced at me worriedly.

"I asked what you guys wanted to eat today. Josh said Chick fil A. Are you okay with that?" I hummed.

"Yeah, that sounds fine." In all actuality, I wasn't hungry. I was sick to my stomach. The accumulation of everything was getting to me.

I didn't know if I'd be going to prison, I keep remembering my dad's dead body in my fucking dreams, I'm responsible for a man's death and it won't stop haunting me, and on top of that, I'm at the verge of failing school.

I felt Aria's hand wrap around mine, rubbing the back of my hand. I leaned my head back on the window, holding onto her hand tightly.

I was just tired of everything, honestly.

I felt like it was impossible for me to have a normal life for once.

I felt like I was on the verge of a break down.

I was mostly silent for the rest of the drive, talking every now and then just so Josh wouldn't think anything was wrong.

I knew he was having a bad day as well, and I didn't want him to be worried about me.

I had to be strong for him now, I couldn't just abandon him when he needed me most.

So when we got home, after we ate, he and I played with his RC trucks outside and after that the three of us watched a movie.

Josh fell asleep pretty early tonight, which was probably good for me. After showers, Aria and I were in bed.

"What's wrong baby?" She asked me, playing in my hair. I looked up at her and smiled.

"I'm just tired; and I don't mean sleepy. It's just too much going on. I don't know what to do. And today was just... more than I thought. I've never been so overwhelmed. I just want a break." She rubbed my cheek and I scooted closer to her.

"I know it's all so much. Let's just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about Josh, he loves you. Mom's just making things worse for herself. And I don't think you'll be going to jail. I think you're meant to stay with us. I don't think we'll lose you again." I sighed, nodding.

"I hope so baby. I just wanna enjoy my family. Have a good Christmas, cook a nice dinner for you guys, finally marry you ..." She blushed a little and I laughed.

"I'd like all of that too." She mumbled, searching my eyes. I looked down at her lips and pulled her face into mine. I kissed her, rubbing her sides, like I usually did. "You and me forever. You hear me?"

"Duh. I ain't ever gonna be with anybody else. You my one and only. You the main reason I can get through all of this." She kissed me again and I sighed into it.

"I love you baby. We'll get through all of this together, okay? I'm with you every step of the way." I nodded and she hugged me tightly.

She was right, it'd all be okay.