Chapter 15

Aria Day

I sat in the living room, watching We're the Millers. I'd popped some popcorn too, it'd been a great day and it seemed like a good time to wind down.

About halfway through the movie, the door opened and I looked up, surprised.

"Riley? I didn't expect you to come back, why didn't you tell me?" He shrugged, seeming down. He had a bag on his back.

"I just didn't think to." I stood walking over to him.

"Baby?" I held his face in my hands and he winced. I pulled back, studying his face. "What happened?" I couldn't see anything because it was dark. I flipped the light on to see him.

"Dad... he knows who you are." My eyes widened as I heard him say that and at his red and swollen eye. "You know... the first problem is he saw the three of us at the park and I'm glad he didn't do anything, but..." His eyes watered up. "I can't even protect you, if he wanted to do something he could've and I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. I'm nothing compared to him." I pulled him into me, hugging him tightly. "He told me he didn't do it because he likes you but..."

"Oh, my poor baby." I mumbled, rubbing his back. He began to cry, his back rumbling from the cries.

"He kicked me out. Told me I was disrespectful a–and to not come back, not to call him. He strangled me and hit me and I couldn't do anything. I'm weak." He cried out to me, I hated to see him this broken. "I had to choose you baby, I can't leave you." I rubbed his back as he let his cries out.

I felt so bad for him, having to be in this situation. He didn't deserve it. I hated that his father put him in this situation, to choose between him and I. I was flattered that he chose me, but that's too tough a decision to make. And then to put his hands on him... after promising he wouldn't again?

When I was there, I'd began to like his father, but it seems he has a monster in him that can not be hidden. He has to, in order to put his hands on his son like that and to threaten to hurt us all.

"I'm sorry Ari." Riley mumbled to me. I pulled back, looking up at him in confusion.

"For what?" His eyes were bloodshot red, I'm sure he'd been crying even before he made it here.

"For not protecting you. A–and Josh."

"Well he didn't do anything, did he?"

"No, but–"

"It's okay Riley. I know you'd do anything to protect me and Josh."

"I would. I'd give my life." I rubbed the back of his head.

"I know baby. You don't have to apologize." He stared at me, seriously.

"I would never let him hurt you. I'd kill him first." I'd never want him to do that.

"It's okay baby." I rubbed his face softly and he leaned into it. "Just breathe, don't worry." He nodded. "Do you really think he'd do it?" He sighed.

"I wanna say no, but he's ruthless. He told me he liked you though... I don't know baby. But I'll install cameras around your house tomorrow. I'll take care of it all." I nodded, hugging him tightly.

"I'm okay as long as you're here." Truthfully, with his dad, I worry about his safety more than mine. His father doesn't seem to really care about me.

"You won't mind me staying here?"

"No, not at all. I'd love it. After all, you are my boyfriend." He looked up at me, a small smile coming onto his face.