Chapter 4

Harley Johnson

My time with Mr. Jim and Aria ended abruptly. In other words, it was unexpected.

Apparently a man had been in contact with Mr. Jim, claiming to be my biological father. Mr. Jim didn't believe it, he didn't trust the man. He kept telling me he thought something was off about him.

My father was well off though, he got Mr. Jim to do a DNA test and I was really his.

Aria and I laid in her bed, holding each other tightly.

"I guess it's not so bad anyway, I-I'll be going to college in a month or so anyway, you know?" She told me, trying to be hopeful. I didn't say anything, I still would've wanted to be here. With the only two people in the world who ever wanted me. She kissed my forehead and I felt tears well into my eyes.

"Thank you." I mumbled to her.

"I...I'd planned a date night for us, but I know he's coming later so," She got up and went to her drawer, pulling out a watch. It was a beautiful gold watch, something I never thought I would have. "I love you, Riley. I never want you to forget me." I began to bawl and she hugged me tightly

"I love you too Ari, thank you so much."

That day was the last day I saw her. Four years ago. I didn't keep in touch, I wasn't allowed to.

My dad was not the best. I won't say he was the worst, but he wasn't Mr. Jim. He didn't want me to the be the best I could, he didn't want even me to be a good person.

I was mad at Mr. Jim for making me go. I was mad he made me leave with this man, a man who was never my father. A man who never wanted me until I was convenient for him.

My father, Damon Johnson, was a king pin drug dealer/gang banger a couple cities over. I'd asked a couple days after I left if I could use his phone to call them.

"Look Harley, I don't know what y'all had going over there, but you ain't talking to them people anymore." I blinked and furrowed my eyes.

"What?" He sighed, bending down to my level.

"I went got you cuz I don't think a kid should grow up without a father. I been looking everywhere for you. But us kinda people, we don't do well with police. I'm sure you know that. He told me you was on the streets for a while, I know you almost went down for murder."

"W–Well, I thought the same thing at first, but they were good to me. They didn't care."

"You don't understand, you were like charity to them. You'll do well here. Imma get you a phone and you'll have everything you need here. Don't sweat it, son." He ruffled up my hair and grinned at me.

"Well, can I at least talk to Aria?" I asked him, ignoring his last comment. His frown went even deeper than mine was, I saw him getting angry.

"Once I've said no, I mean it. Ain't no going back and forth. What I say goes, I don't want you to have to learn the hard way. I don't care if you was fucking the bitch or not."

"Man, I don't give a fuck if you think you're my dad or not you're not gonna talk about her that way." I told him, walking closer into his face. His eyes grew angrier then he stopped. He shook his head and laughed.

"Damn, that's crazy. You look just like me, don't you? You act like me too. I knew I was right to get you, I love the fire. Like I said, what I say here goes. I'm giving you this one free pass. Enjoy yourself, son, I got things to do." He walked out of my new room, laughing to himself.