Chapter 12

Harley Johnson

I laid in the bed, holding Aria. I'd woken up before her this time. I looked down at her, a smile creeping onto my face.

I wish I could have her forever.

No. Don't think about that. Enjoy it while you have it.

I played in her hair, feeling blissful.

"Aunty?" I looked up and Josh was there, rubbing his eyes. "Oh, Goodmorning Riley."

"Goodmorning buddy, hold on." I slowly slid out of the bed, making sure Aria stayed asleep. I went to her bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush before going out of the room.

"Great, we can brush our teeth together."

"Exactly what I was thinking." I followed him to the other bathroom and he got his toothbrush. He put toothpaste on his toothbrush and looked at me. "Toothpaste me up." I told him, holding mine out. He grinned widely, pushing it out onto mine.

We brushed our teeth together and I helped him wash his face. We left out of the bathroom and I stopped.

"What now?" I asked him, genuinely curious. He put his hands on his hips and hummed.

"You ever made breakfast?" I nodded

"A couple of times." I could cook pretty well. I don't think Aria knew, but over the course of the four years I was with Dad, he taught me. "Let's do it, maybe we can surprise your aunt." He nodded excitedly, and we ran to the kitchen.

I let him help as much as he could. He had a stool that he stood on to help him reach the counter top.

He cracked the eggs, did some stirring, and more. I stood beside him, making sure to keep him safe from being burnt or anything. He knew what he was doing, for the most part.

"It sure is smelling good in here." He said, rubbing his stomach. I laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, we're doing pretty well huh? You cook good for your age." He nodded.

"Yeah, sometimes I have to try to make my own. Dad's not always home." I raised my eyebrow.

"Well, who's usually there for you? They don't make you anything to eat?"

"It's just me." I looked at him confused. He was only six, there was no reason he should've been home alone. "It's okay though. I don't open the door for anyone!"

"You–"

"It smells great in here guys! I can't believe you did all of this!" We both turned around, surprised that Aria was awake.

"Oh! Goodmorning!" Josh said, running over and hugging her. "We wanted to surprise you. So come on, let's go ahead and get you seated at the table. Riley and I will make the plates and bring them to you." I laughed, he was such a good kid.

"Well thank you." She told him, grinning at me. The food was almost done, so I began to put most of it on the plates.

"What can I do to help?" Josh asked.

"You can pour some orange juice."

"Got it!" He climbed on top of the cabinet and got three cups out. He hopped down and got the orange juice out of the fridge. He pulled his stool over and stood on top of it to begin pouring.

I smiled to myself, waiting for the biscuits to finish cooking. Right after he finished pouring, the oven dinged and I checked on the biscuits.

"Done?" He asked, stepping on his toes to look.