Chapter 22

Harley Johnson

I hung up the phone angrily after talking to Aria. I wasted one of my free calls on that?

I mean, I knew it seemed like I did it, but I didn't. And once I said I didn't, it aggravated me that she didn't believe me. Angrily, I made my way to an empty table.

People in here didn't mess with me much when they heard what gang I was part of; that's one good thing about my dad. He'd gathered so much respect in the city and the cities surrounding it.

"Hey man, ain't you Damon son?" I looked up as I saw a younger guy slide his tray onto the table. He sat in the seat across from me.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"Big respect. Your pops always been real. He know you up in here?"

"He died."

"I'm sorry to hear that. You need anything in here, just lemme know." I nodded.

"Preciate it." He talked to me a bit, but just like with my roommate, I didn't say much.

After a couple of hours, I was called to go to court for bail. They put my hands and feet in cuffs and led me to the transport van.

The courthouse was only down the street.

They took me out at the courthouse and I waited with a couple of other inmates for hearings.

My name was called and I stood. Cynthia met me down the isle.

"Let me do the talking." She told me as we walked to the front.

She spoke for me; she spoke about the case and why I should be granted bail.

"Your honor, let me remind you that the defendant has been arrested several times prior to yesterday. The previous charges have been but are not limited to second degree murder, intent to distribute, and several assault charges."

"Yes, but none of these charges have ever stuck to my client. Your honor, let the record show that my client has been a victim of racial discrimination time and time again. Even now, it seems that my client, a nineteen year old highschool senior, was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time during his arrest. His father, Mr. Damon Johnson, was the one who pulled the trigger. The record shows that my client was only just walking into the room and Mr. Owen Day was already shot by then. Therefore, there is no proof that my client even knew what was happening." The judge stared at me then looked at the prosecutor.

"Is this true?"

"Yes, your honor but–"

"On the grounds that Mr. Johnson is not a proven danger to the community, I will grant him bail at $500,000. Mr. Johnson, you will not be allowed around any drugs or any gang violence. You are not allowed to go anywhere near the victim's family, and–"

"What? The victim's family is my family." I whispered to Cynthia and she shushed me.

"Is that a problem?" The judge looked between Cynthia and I. Cynthia cleared her throat.

"Your honor, my client, Mr. Johnson, has been once adopted by the victim's father. As such, he is a part of the victim's family, being closely related to the victim's father, sister, and son. I ask that we inquire with the family before making such decision." The judge looked around.

"Your honor, this is such a extreme circumstance, there is no way the victim's family would allow Mr. Johnson to come near them."

"Your honor, it is a... special circumstance, I agree, but this is the only family Mr. Johnson has. They have remained to be an influence on him as Mr. James Day is a honored police officer of the city. I'm sure his word on the subject would suffice." The prosecutor didn't say anything else and the judge nodded.