Chapter 24

Aria Day

A knock sounded at the door and I looked at Riley. He had the cameras set up on his phone (not mine, that's my man for you).

"Uhh, some older white lady?" He showed me and my eyes widened.

"Both of you, in the room, now." I told him as she knocked again.

"Who is it Aunty?" Josh asked as Riley picked him up.

"Who knows but we gotta go." He told him running to the bedroom. I opened the door and there stood my mother.

"Mom! What a surprise. How are you?" She scowled at me and pushed by me into the house.

"You are absolutely pitiful. How dare you?" I raised my eyebrow at her.

"Excuse me?"

"I know you're with that boy. I've heard all about him! Not only is he a drug dealer, he's responsible for my son's–" I interrupted her, not wanting Josh to know.

"How dare you come back here after all this time acting like you give a shit about anyone? You didn't care about him all of these years he's been on drugs." She walked over to me and put her finger in my face.

"You watch your mouth when you're talking to me." I stepped away from her, swatting her hand away from my face.

She fixed her scarf, embarrassed, and took a deep breath.

"Where is my grandson? You don't deserve to have him, I'll fight it with every penny I have." I raised my eyebrow.

"You're not taking him away from me. It was Owen's last wish for him to be with me and that's how it's going to be."

"You said it yourself your brother was on drugs. That makes it inadmissible." She stood in front of me. "Leave that boy alone if you want to keep Josh."

"So now you're going to blackmail me?" She shrugged, picking up a picture of Josh, Riley, and I.

"Call it what you want." She threw it to the ground, shattering the frame. "But you will do what I say Aria."

"You're pathetic." Several brisk strides led her to stand right in front of me. She lifted her hand to hit me but I caught it. "Get out." I told her. She snatched her hand from mine before she turned her heel and began towards the door.

"I mean it, I–" I closed the door on her and locked it. I laid back on the door, trying to calm myself.

Why couldn't we catch a break?

I saw a head, Riley's head, peak out of the room.

"Is it okay to take Josh's earphones off?" I nodded. He went back into the room before the both of them walked back in.

"Aunty, did I hear my Nana?" I looked at Riley and he shook his head. Hopefully he was telling me he didn't hear anything.

"Yes honey, that was her but she was in a rush. She'll see you soon, okay?" He nodded excitedly.

"Great. Nana always brings candy." I smiled and kissed his forehead.

"Thank God for candy." I told him, winking. He grinned and agreed with me. I looked up and Riley was staring off into space.

"How about we go to the park today?" I asked them both.

"One with swing sets and slides?" Josh asked, jumping up and down.

"Yup."

"I'm gonna go out on my clothes!" He told me. Riley walked over to me, still kinda in a daze.