Prelude: Chapter 3

A couple days later, I hear Aria next door in her room, giggling and I sigh. Nick called back and apologized to her. She's right back in his hands. She knows I like her but who cares, like I said, I'm an ignorant kid. She's seventeen now and I'm only fourteen and three quarters.

Things are still kinda weird between the two of us. I've tried everything from giving her a break to being around her more. Nothing helps, she's still cautious with me.

"Nick, not right now my dad and Riley are home." She whined to him. He actually wasn't, but I'm glad they didn't know that. But obviously I was, and I wouldn't let this go on.

"It's okay, we'll be quiet." I rolled my eyes, but grinned. Not gonna happen on my watch.

I left the room and knocked on Aria's door.

"Stop, that may be my dad." I heard Aria whisper. I knocked again and Nick came to the door. When he opened it, and realized it was me, he glared at me. I ignored him and pushed the door open more. I looked at Aria to see her struggling to put her shirt on. I felt a pang in my chest, but I ignored it.

"Hey, sorry to bother you Aria, your dad called and asked if we were fine with chicken parm tonight. I hate to ask, but he's out shopping for it now." This wasn't totally a lie, he's making chicken parm, but he didn't ask me to ask her about it.

"Sur–"

"What the fuck kid, you don't see we're in the middle of something?" He said, roughly pushing me back and closing the door. I knew Aria wouldn't like that, so I shrugged and went back into my room.

"What the hell Nick, don't put your hands on him!"

"You care about him more than me! This is why I broke up with you the last time! You're always with him. We never have time alone! You didn't care about my needs. He's not your kid! He's a fucking orphan, and a hobo kid. Let him stay on the streets where he belongs!" I heard a slap. But you know, maybe he is right. Me staying on the streets probably would've been better for this family.

I heard some more yelling and the front door slam and then a knock at my door. I sat on the bed, playing with my fingers. I looked up to see Aria there, looking at me concerned.

"Hey." She told me, walking in. "I'm sorry about that." I shrugged as she pulled me into a hug. I pushed away from her and she stared at me. I stared into her big brown eyes feeling my heart speed up. I wanted nothing more than to stay in her arms. But just as quickly as I thought up my plan to interrupt them, I regretted it. What am I doing?

"It's fine. I... I'll make sure I stay away from now on. I'm sorry I even moved in." She shook her head.

"I'm glad you moved in... besides, I thought you said I could do better than him?" I shrugged and looked away. "He kissed me Riley."

"Yeah and you didn't seem to care." She blushed.

"You were listening?" I rolled my eyes. Yeah, not intentionally, I'm obviously next door.

"Whatever, why do I even care about what you do?" I told her angrily. "Like I said, I shouldn't be here anyway. You keep coming in here hugging me. You took off my necklace to fuck him, so I know you know how I feel about you. You think it's a cute little crush, well it's not. It's not a game to me. It's never been a game to me."

"Riley, you're too young."

"It's not that bad." I shouldnt have ever told her my real age. She'd think it's only a year.

"It's just that- I-I'm seventeen and I'm about to be eighteen Riley, we can't."

"So if I was sixteen, you'd think about it? Just go back to when we first met and I told you I was a year older. We can imagine for a bit." I joked with her. She laughed a little and I moved my hand onto hers. "Ari, I'm more of a man than Nick could ever be." She stared longingly at me. "I love you." I pulled her into me and kissed her lips. She kissed me back, holding onto me tightly. I fell into oblivion, it felt perfect to be in her arms. I felt a explosion in me, something I'd never felt before.