Prelude: Chapter 2

I was processed and brought into the holding cell as tears ran down my eyes. I heard Officer Day try to reason with the other officers to just talk to me, but I knew I wouldn't get any special treatment. Truly, I didn't care.

The only person in my life who I've ever cared about just died. What was I supposed to do about that? What would I do now? I have nothing: nowhere to live, no one cares about me, nothing.

I sat back in the holding cell, alone, as even though it was attempted murder, I was still a child. Though I'm sure they wanted to try me as an adult.

I stared at nothing, feeling numb. Man, I related to those solemn trees even more now. Or maybe I'm more like their leaves that have fallen and gotten stepped on.

Too deep?

My eyes focused back as someone walked in front of the cell: Officer Day.

"I know you didn't do it." I blinked at him. Yet, you arrested me. "Look, I'm gonna get you out of here and you can come stay with me." I looked away, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.

"Why? I haven't done anything for you to trust me."

"I-I don't know. You're just a kid who ends up in the wrong situations Riley. I'm gonna find a way to get you out." I didn't say anything so he sighed and walked away.

I mean, what did he want me to say? Nothing ever worked out for me, I didn't expect it to. Maybe it'll be good for me to go to jail or even prison, then I'd have food whenever I need. I'd have shelter, I may even make friends... Who knows?

I laid back on the bench, closing my eyes. I wished today was just a dream, a nightmare.

Once, an officer passed by and gave me a tray of food, but I left it there. I just had no appetite.

"Alright kid, someone got you a lawyer, let's go." I stood and walked out of the cell as the officer led me down a corridor. I went into the room and the door closed behind me.

There stood Officer Day and some old white guy.

"I got you a lawyer Riley. Now listen, I can stay in here with you if you want since you're a minor. But, that's completely up to you." Truthfully, I didn't care what he did, so I shrugged. The lawyer motioned for me to sit down and I did.

"I'm Bernard Lake. Look Riley, this is what they got you with. They're saying second degree murder. Some guys turned you in, saying that you killed Lou. Apparently, Lou looked through your things and found out you were not who you said you were. He told the bosses of your living arrangement and you were upset so you stole one of their guns and killed him." I stood from my chair angrily.

"They looked through my things, not Lou! Lou and I were best friends, he was the only one who cared about me! These are lies." He stared up at me, no emotions in his eyes. It angered me, did he even care? Did he believe me?

"Do you have any proof?" I stared at him and sat down, feeling any hope I had dissipate.

"I'm homeless. What proof would I have?"

"W-well let's start with this, where were you yesterday, if you didn't see it happen?" Officer Day said, breaking the tension.

"Actually, I was with Aria most of the day. After that, I started to go back to the pod, but I saw that my things had been gone through. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay there, so I went to the underpass to sleep. I'd even saved the pancakes you made me leave at the bench earlier for Lou." I said, lazily. "Officer Day, thanks for trying to help, but I see what he sees in me. It's no use. Maybe I belong in jail."