Chapter 7

Aria Day

I sat on my couch, staring at the door.

My sweet Riley. He'd changed. And while I expected a change in these four years, this is nothing like what I'd expected.

He was a grown man now, tattoos ran down his arms. His hair wasn't like it was then. He'd cut his curls off, he was now sporting a buzz cut. He had a full mustache and a bit of a goatee. He'd gained some muscle; he was no longer the scrawny kid he was when he and I met. He was tall, he towered over me.

Although he had a black eye, his green eyes were still as beautiful and striking as always. They were the eyes I'd dreamt about time and time again.

I wanted nothing more than his arms wrapped around me.

But I couldn't forget why Riley had shown up; the fact that I'd been looking for him forever and he came only to collect on a debt. If it had not been for Kevin and this said debt, I wouldn't have ever seen him again.

That was the ultimate form of betrayal to me. The fact that he's been so close for so long and never came back. He never even called.

My phone rang, pulling me out of my daze.

"Hello." I answered, exhausted.

"Hey, baby. Are you okay?" I bit my lip.

"Uhh, yeah... it's all taken care of." He sighed in relief.

"Great."

"I know he's a drug dealer. What were you buying from him? What didn't you pay for?" He was quiet for a bit.

"It's just weed. I–I get it sometimes to calm my nerves down. I'm sorry you had to be in the middle of all of this. It's not something that I do often."

"How did he get here again?"

"He looked through my things, found out about you. Said he was coming to you next. That's why I called. I didn't want you to get hurt. You know how these thugs can be." I sighed, it did all add up.

"How are you? Did he hurt you too badly?" He laughed a bit.

"I'll be alright honey, thanks for your concern."

"Okay, get some rest. Let me know if you need anything." I hung up the phone and sat back.

I wonder if I should tell Dad? He'd be disappointed in Riley, if he ever knew what he was into now. So, I decided to save him the pain for now.

~
I hadn't seen Kevin in a few days. I'd called and I heard nothing from him. Even when I went by his house, I couldn't get any word of him. It's like he disappeared.

While here, I've decided to tutor high school students. I figured it could help out a lot and give me something to do while here. One of my old teachers had moved schools and asked if I could help a couple of her students who really needed it.

I tutored at a public library about thirty minutes out of the city. I'd have three students today to help. I tutored them in a study room, at the back of the library. The first two weren't so bad, they just needed some extra help in math and english.

I helped as much as I could in the hour we were allotted. I told them they'd be able to work with me as long as they needed if they scheduled it down the road.

The last kid, by the name of Harley Johnson was late. Fifteen minutes had passed and he hadn't made it. I began to pack my things up, expecting him not to come.

"Sorry Miss, something came up." He said coming into the room and closing the door. I looked up to see Riley. We met eyes and he looked at me confused. "Aria?"