Prelude: Chapter 1

"Come back here kid! You can't run forever, ya know?"

My feet carried me quickly around the corner into the dark alley. Unfortunately, they were too quick for my body and I slid around the corner onto the pavement. I flung my body around the trashcan.

I tried to steady my breathing as I peeped out. It was cold out, and if I breathed too hard, he would see.

Involuntarily, my breath hitched as he rounded the corner. His footsteps got closer, slowing down as he looked for me. "I know you're out here. You couldn't have went far... besides, I know you're hurt. If you let me just take you into custody, I'll get you a hospital. Otherwise, you'll be stuck bleeding." To answer your first question: yes, I'm running from the cops.

Truthfully though, I have no choice.

My name is Harley; I've been living on the streets since I was seven and I am now fourteen. I was given up by my mother, who left no excuse as to why she abandoned my brother and me. I ended up running away from the adoption agency after being passed up for so many years. I figured I'd be more of a burden for a family than a blessing, so I saved myself and someone else.

Or maybe that's what I tell myself so I don't have to come to terms with the fact that no one would've ever taken me in.

I've been homeless for quite some time; living in and out of abandoned homes and what not. I guess I'm lucky I haven't gotten arrested for stealing yet, but as you can see I've had some close calls. They've got me once, but let me off with a warning. Some would wonder why I call it luck, but you have to realize there is nothing out there for a boy like me. This is all my life has been and this is what it will be. Honestly, I'm as happy as one could be in the situation I'm in.

Officer Day stopped walking and sighed. He's a white man who's in his late thirties, with a nearly bald head, with the usual muscular police officer build. I've heard that most women think he's attractive, but ewww... I don't see it.

Officer Day and I have been through this back-and-forth ordeal where they send him to pick me up over and over again and he never has. I'd expect him to get tired of it, but it seems like he hasn't yet.

"Riley, why do we have to go through this everytime, huh? Why don't you want shelter? Why don't you want food without having to steal it? You live on the streets and you've got no education. Is this what you want?" Obviously, my first name isn't Riley. I only say that so that if I ever got caught they couldn't send me back to the orphanage. So, for legal purposes my name is Riley Duncan.

He looked around waiting for me to answer, but I wouldn't. I know what this game is. They talk to you like you're a human and try to appeal to you with emotions. But I know better at this point.

"Look, I actually just want you to be safe. If you come out, I won't turn you in, I swear. I've got an extra bedroom; you can crash at my place. You need a home, and you need to go to school. I can give you that environment you need. I know you have no reason to believe me, but why would I lie to you now kid?" Damn, I thought I knew better, but truly, I thought about it. I thought about what it'd be like to prove myself wrong; for there to be more for this helpless homeless kid.

But no. I don't trust him. Plus, there's a certain thrill about being out here. I've got everything I need and if not, I can get it somehow. I'm not going to get my hopes up on this cop. In the end, I'll just get torn again.

He sighed in defeat and looked around disappointedly. "I understand. If you change your mind, you know where to find me." He pulled something from his pocket and placed it on the ground. He stayed for a second, hoping I would come out, then left.