Chapter 5

Aria Day

My eyes opened to the melody of the birds chirping outside. I threw my feet to the side of the bed and trudged to the bathroom to get ready. The sight of my frizzy blonde "bed hair" made me groan.

I showered and I fixed my hair up to my liking, with my loose curls hanging.

I fished my necklace out of the jewelry box. Who am I kidding? Truthfully, the necklace was on top.

This was the necklace Riley gave me, several years prior. I hadn't seen him since his dad picked him up four years ago.

After that, it seems he disappeared from the face of the earth.

Four years later, I've finally graduated college with a degree in Political Science and I'm back home.

I've come back temporarily, in hopes of helping my dad for a bit and then getting custody of my nephew. I don't plan on staying, I've got plans to go back to school. I'm on my way to law school to become a prosecutor. For now, I'm only taking a break.

My phone rang and I looked down at it.

"Hey Dad." I answered.

"Hey honey, how's it going?"

"Just getting up. Kevin's on his way home from work, he and I are gonna go out for lunch."

"Just be careful honey." I knew he was wary about Kevin.

"Kevin's a good guy, Dad. Don't worry."

"Okay, I'll try to trust your judgement." I laughed a little and bit my lip. I've asked him the same thing almost every day. "I know what you want to ask me. No, I haven't." I sighed. I've been trying to find Riley, but he's no where in the system. I've been asking Dad to look daily, and there's nothing.

"Of course. Thank you Dad."

"No problem. And hey, you never know, he may still live around here. He never got in trouble again. He never came by after you left, and they moved, but it might be close." I don't want to give up but I don't know what else to do to look for him. I don't want to even think about the worse happening to him.

"Okay. Bye Dad."

"Goodbye honey. Have a good day." I smiled and hung up. I was deep in thought as I began to get ready. How can Riley not be found? There's no way he just disappeared off the face of earth. I just want to see him again. He can't have died.. could he?

I'm so pathetic. Truthfully, I'm obsessed with Riley: A kid who I fell for four years ago.

Kevin and I had been together for three months. I met him in college, he is a little older than me. We began to talk after realizing we were from the same hometown. He was sweet, down to earth, and smart, so we hit it off.

Kevin's a good guy, as I told Dad. He's good enough to settle down with.

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts. I adjusted my clothes and hair before heading to the door.

"Hi baby." I greeted Kevin, hugging him.

"Hi there, beautiful. These are for you." He told me, handing me a lovely bouquet of roses.