Chapter 18

Harley Johnson

Tonight, we were gonna take Josh trick or treating. I was excited, this would be great. I'd never been trick or treating and although I wouldn't be getting the candy myself, Josh promised he would share with me last time.

"Where's Owen?" I whined to Aria, ready to go. He was late to drop Josh off, it was aggravating. We had to get him dressed and leave out before six. We didn't want him out too late.

"He said he's on his way. I don't know why he didn't just drop him off last night like he was supposed to." She looked down at her phone. "Oh! They're outside." I went into the back room, staying back like I was supposed to. I heard the door open and the two walked in.

"Aunty!" Josh yelled, causing me to smile. Damn, he was too cute for his own good.

"Hey honey... go to your room for me right quick, please?" I heard his feet run away. "Owen, what the fuck is that?"

"Aria, don't fucking question me. He's my son."

"I don't give a fuck Owen, he's got a black eye." I felt myself heat up, I was livid. I tried to do with Aria told me and take deep breaths, but I didn't know if it'd work. "What kind of father are you?"

"Mind your damn business, bitch. I'm tired of you always having something to say."

"Get your hands off of me!" That was my cue. I went into the living room, pulling Aria behind me.

"Get out." He looked at me surprised.

"Look who's back on his feet. How bout you make me, huh?" I took him by his shirt, slamming him into the door. He tried to fight back, but it was no use.

"Josh is here, Riley." Aria told me, snapping me out of my anger. I stared at him as he sneered cockily at me. I nodded.

"I'll catch you on the streets." I told him, stepping back and letting him go. He laughed at me.

"Yeah and I'll handle you again." He left the house and I stood there, looking down. I blinked, hearing the words in my head.

Again?

Again? What did he mean by again?

"Baby?" I heard Aria say to me. I looked up and she and Josh were looking at me. I shook my head, trying not to think about it.

I went over to Josh, bending down to him. I inspected his face, cursing Owen out in my head

"Hey buddy." I mumbled, pulling him into a tight hug. "What happened to your face?" I asked him.

"I uhh... I fell yesterday." He said quietly. I took a deep breath, nodding.

"Okay, go get your costume on buddy. I'll be in to help you in a second." He nodded and ran off.

I stood and turned to look at Aria. She looked worried and stressed.

"He's hitting him." She told me, frowning deeply. I pulled her into me, hugging her tightly.

"I'm gonna take care of it after we go trick or treating."

"What?"

"Look, I told you who I was, you know. No one touches my family. He wants to put his hands on Josh, I won't let anything else happen to Josh or you."

"But Riley-"

"No, you can't stop me Ari. I also have a feeling he had something to do with me being shot. I know he's your brother, but it isn't right." I stared at her and she looked back at me, a weird look on her face.