Chapter 25

Harley Johnson

I walked into the school and unlike usually when I go to school, there's people staring at me. Crazy thing is, when I turn to look at them, they look away quickly.

I walked straight to my first class, not paying anyone any mind.

Before I sat in my desk; my teacher, Mrs. Redmond, called me up. I never spoke much in class, so it's very rare there's a reason for me to be called up.

"Harley, you have to go to the principal's office." She said, never meeting my eyes.

"What? Why?" I asked. I didn't do anything to anyone.

"You should go. Now." I stared at her appalled before nodding and walking out. That was weird.

I went to the front office and walked to the desk.

"Hello, I'm Harley Johnson. I was told to come to the principal's office." She looked up at me and smiled warmly.

"Of course Harley. Go ahead to Mr. Frank's office." I raised my eyebrow. Mr. Frank is the disciplinary administrator at the school. I didn't get why I'd have to go to him. "It's okay sweetie, you aren't in trouble."

"Oh. Thank you." I smiled at her and went to Mr. Frank's door. It was already open; he was looking down at a paper, reading. "Uh, Mr. Frank." He looked up at me, no emotion on his face.

"Harley. Come in. Close the door behind you." I did as he said and sat awkwardly in the chair in front of his desk. He turned a newspaper around and sitting there was my mugshot. I stared at it, groaning internally.

Mugshots can be the death of social status. The whole innocent until proven guilty thing isn't applied here cuz your face is plastered for everyone to see. The crimes committed are there and once one person sees it, if they think you're interesting enough, it gets everywhere.

Anyway, Mr. Frank didn't speak, he just stared at me, I'm guessing to see my reaction.

"Umm... Okay?" I mumbled. "Yeah, I was arrested and let out on bail?" I said, unsure of myself.

"Yes. You were. Arrested for several major offenses. I'll cut to the chase, parents have called and demanded that you are not allowed in classes with their kids. Honestly, I don't blame them. It is a risk for a gang banger such as yourself to be in a class full of students. Thugs have no place in school houses." I felt the anger rising into me. How dare he?

"Excuse me?" I said to him, trying to calm down. "I've not been proven to be guilty! I've been in class with these people for years and I've never hurt them." He raised his eyebrow.

"I'd hate to call the security officer on you. I do know that just one little mishap," He made a motion with his hand. "will send you right back to jail. So I suggest you calm down." That didn't help. "Listen, I'm on your side here, Harley." I clinched my jaw, trying to tame myself.

I wanted nothing more than to ransack his office, starting with flipping his desk and–

Is it bad that I'm just coming to the realization that I have severe anger issues?

"What do you want from me?" I asked him.

"Just giving you a little warning. But, I do have to tell you that you have to have classes alone. One teacher will teach you by yourself instead of you being in class with other students."

"So like ISS?" He shrugged, handing me the paper with who I'd go to.

"Yeah, but you're not in trouble or anything." He gave me a smug smirk.