Chapter 23

Jim Day

I left the room, holding my ex wife in my arms; we'd both just watched our son die before our eyes. Although he and I had lost each other years ago, the love I had for him never left.

"Who did this to him, James? Tell me now!" Audrey yelled, hitting me in my chest.

"I can't tell you that, Audrey, calm down!" She glared at me, pushing me off of her.

"You'll tell me who killed my son or I will find out on my own! You're useless, James! Good for nothing!" I groaned internally, I hated when she was like this. She was drunk, which is what is expected for her when she's in a stressful situation.

"Okay. Go find out on your own." I told her, letting her go. She pointed her finger in my face.

"You never loved him anyway! He was nothing to you. Raymond will tell me anything I need to know." I looked at her lazily.

"I don't have time for this. You need help Audrey." I pushed by her and left the hospital as she yelled behind me. I could not take care of her right now. I had things to do.

I told Aria that her brother had passed.

Now, since I was in charge of the raid against Damon Johnson, I would be promoted to Chief. I had things to take care of before that, though.

I dialed a number on my phone.

"Hey, Dale, I need to run some things by you, man."

"Alright boss, where you at?"

"Just leaving the hospital. Meet me at the diner on Fifth."

"Got it, see you then." I hung up the phone and went to the squad car.

The ride to the diner was dull. I was the kind of man who never stopped; I know my daughter would be mad at the fact that I dive right back into work after Owen died.

But this was something I had to do. I had to make sure I didn't ruin another life.

My neglect was the cause of my son's life and now I can't let another man who was like a son to me lose his life to the justice system.

I knew who Riley was. Always.

Just as I told him before, he was always at the wrong place at the wrong time. The only place that was right for him was with us, and I believe that whole heartedly.

When he was a kid, I'd talked to Riley about his dreams and aspirations. He wanted so much, he had all of these ideas, but most of all, he wanted a family.

I couldn't believe his father didn't allow him to have that. He stripped all possible livelihood from... my kid.

And I hated him for it.

I parked at the back of the diner and walked in.

"Hey Officer Day, good to see you." One of the waitresses told me.

"Hey Sherry. I'm hoping that coffee's good today."

"Making another pot just for you, sir." I nodded and she went to the back.

I looked to the back of the diner, seeing Dale waving me over. I walked over to him and sat at the back.

"What's the deal?" He asked me, his hands enclosed together on the table.

"Well... I found it peculiar, something Richie told me. Tell me, if you can, why none of the body cams made it to evidence yet?" He stared at me, and I heard his feet begin to tap the ground.

"Here's your coffee Officer Day. Dale, you need anything?" Sherry asked him as she slid my coffee onto the table. His mouth opened and I put my hand up.

"He's alright, thank you Sherry." His mouth closed and he looked back at me. Sherry walked away, understanding that we didn't want anymore interruptions.

"Sir, I was told they malfunctioned." I raised my eyebrow.

"What kind of malfunction?" I asked him, knowing he was hiding something.

"Well..." He but the inside of his cheek.

"Dale, if you don't spit it out, I'll have your badge along with everyone else involved in this bust. You know that kid was like a son to me and dammit, I'd like to know how my own son died."

"They told you how, he was dead before they got there."

"Now you can lie to me all you want son, but I know when something's not right." He tapped his foot, sighing.

"They... they didn't wear the body cams." He looked away, clearing his throat nervously. I laughed and stood up.

"Alright. I'm asking that you be relocated. Effective immediately." He stood quickly, his hand on my shoulder.

"They got em... It's just that... well, this ain't gone look good on the station." I stared at him, clinching my jaw.

"Tell me everything you know."