Chapter 13

Aria Day

After all of Riley's tests came back normal, he was able to go home. When he did, he was let out in a wheel chair.

"Bout damn time." He said as Damon rolled him up to the house.

"Don't be so impatient." Damon scolded him.

"Wonder where I get it from." He gasped, running out of breath. He was getting better with his breathing, but it was still hard for him to talk.

He and his Dad were a lot alike; the emotionless stares, the calm, short answers, the eerily strict focus when their attention is on something important. They even looked a lot alike, Riley was just lighter than his father due to him being half white.

"Shut up." Damon demanded. Riley rolled his eyes. He would've argued if he actually didn't need to shut up.

They were entertaining, the two.

It was weird that Damon kept disappearing. It seemed he cared so much for Riley, but he was rarely there. I wondered what could be so important.

He and a couple of men, who were supposed to be "Riley's uncles" helped Riley into the bed. They obviously worked for Damon. It wasn't his room, it was an extra room downstairs, that way he wouldn't have to use stairs.

I didn't think I was allowed at their house, but he and his father had a talk about it.

"Guess I'll have to see you in a couple of weeks or so." I told him. He nodded.

"Yeah, I–"

"Adele, you're more than welcome to come over. Riley can send you the address of you can follow us."

"But Dad,–"

"This girl has been at the hospital with you every day and you think she won't want to come by and check on you at the house?" His father told him sternly. He looked at me. "You're welcome to come by whenever." He repeated.

"Okay, thank you." He reached around and handed me a key.

"Take this, in case I'm not home to let you in one day." I wondered where he kept going in the midst of all of this.

"Comfortable?" Damon asked him.

"As comfortable as I'll get."

"Alright. Chip's staying here, he'll be in the front. Call if you need something."

"Hey, you almost done?" Riley asked him. His face darkened.

"No, not yet. I'll let you know when." Riley nodded.

"Alright, love you."

"Love you too." The three men left the room and I came sat on the bed with him.

"Are you mad at me for coming along?" He shook his head.

"At first I was worried, but I don't know, while we drove I started thinking. It'd probably be safer over here with me." His words were still short and paused.

I tilted my head in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the guy that did it could've followed me from your house. I don't want him targeting you." I furrowed my eyebrows. I didn't think of it that way.

"Oh... you're right. Maybe I should have Dad set up a detail when I go home."

"Yeah, maybe so. Or you could just stay here every now and then. Dad likes you. I don't even think he'd look into you right now, he's too busy."