𝟎𝟐𝟗

"𝚂𝚝𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚂𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝙸𝚗 𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘶

"Is something wrong?" Jess asks.

"Sorta..." Noah trails off.

"What is it?" Jess gulps, nervous for Noah's response.

"Before I say anything..." Noah replies, "I need to explain."

"Noah, you don't have to explain anything.  I overreacted and I'm not completely sure why.  I don't care who you like...well, I do, but I just don't want you to think that I was trying to control you.  I just..." Jess takes a breath after rambling, "Listen, I told you I'm an over-thinker."

"And I'm usually an under-thinker, but I think you rubbed off on me." Noah giggles, "I got angry too quick 'cause, let's face it, what's fucking new?" She sighs, "I didn't really give you a chance to say what you meant. Or maybe it was because you didn't give me the answer I wanted."

"You wanted me to give the green light about dating Parker—"

"No, that's not it, I swear."

"Then, what was it, Noah?"

"I don't know, I..." Noah pauses, "It's not important now." She decides to avoid it.

"Then, what's so important? I'm worried."

"I'm struggling." Noah admits as she feels her throat clench as the emotions build within her, "I don't know how to explain it."

"Why don't you start by telling me what happened? If you're comfortable with that, you don't have to, but my Mom has a therapist and she said that admitting you're struggling is a great first step. And I'm not saying that you need therapy—"

"Over-thinking..." Noah says with a smile.

"Right. Just talk to me and I'll be quiet."

"My friend is in the hospital..." Noah says and looks up from the ground, "And it's bringing up a lot of bad memories that didn't end the way I wanted them to."

"What have the doctors said?"

"That she should be able to leave soon."

"Well, there's your answer.  I know that trust isn't really your thing, but they're doctors.  After so many years of school, we have to start trusting them at some point." Jess beams, attempting to lift her friend's spirit.

Thankfully, it is starting to work. Noah smiles wide, seeing as she knows Jess too well. Noah knew that Jess would not be able to keep quiet.

"I don't think I have faith anymore."

"In what?"

"In anything..." Noah mumbles and twists with the ends of her hair.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, but as long as she's alive and well, that's all you can really hope for right now."

"I know," Noah sighs and lays down on Hotch's couch.

"Have you slept?"Jess asks.

"Not much," Noah says, "How'd you know?"

"Because you sound like how you sound when we're in school." Jess giggles as she takes in the familiar tone.

"Exhausted," Noah says with a quiet laugh.

"You should sleep.  And if you feel like you can't, then I can stay on the phone with you."

"You know, if you start rambling on about your chess game, it might put me right to sleep." Noah jokes with a grin.