𝟏𝟐𝟑

"𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕟𝕖𝕩𝕥 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕟𝕠𝕠𝕟
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘶

     "HI, ROSSI," Noah says as she knocks on his office door. She is shocked to see that it's open. He usually prefers to work in the quiet.

"Hey, kid," Dave replies and gestures to the armchair in front of his desk. "How's being a teenager?"

"Fun, I guess," Noah shrugs and hears the man chuckle. "I have a question, though."

"Ask away," Dave says.

"You've been married a few times, right?" Noah questions with a small smile, hoping he doesn't get upset by the comment.

Dave rolls his eyes. "Maybe."

"So, when you were thinking about...Valentine's Day plans..." Noah trails off, hoping he'll get the hint.

"Yes?" Dave replies, forcing her to ask outright.

"What were some ideas you had?" Noah asks him quietly. "I mean, if you married more than once, then they had to have been good, right?"

"You have to do something meaningful," Dave tells her. "What's a place, food, activity, or thing that means something to both of you? Think about what would make you remember why you're together in the first place?"

"This has to be good," Noah giggles. "I'm not a millionaire, I can't just buy a big ring. I have the allowance I've saved up and that's it."

"How about a loan?" Dave suggests.

"For a diamond ring?" Noah asks.

"No," Dave laughs. "Just for you to be able to afford to go somewhere. You can pay for dinner, maybe a taxi, and a little gift, huh? How's that sound?"

"How long do I have to pay you back?" Noah questions him as she watches Dave pull out his checkbook.

"How about just until before I die?" Dave jokes.

"Deal," Noah agrees and watches him write out the check. "Now, is there a way to pay you back in favors or are we talking strictly money?"

"We'll see, kid," Dave says and gives her the check. Noah smiles and walks over to him, leaning down and hugging him. "Thanks, Papa Rossi," she chimes and skips out of the office.

On her way out, she overhears her mother and Penelope talking as they make their way to the round table room. Noah jumps in on their conversation and walks right beside her mother.

"So, how's it going, stranger?" Penelope asks Emily.

"Uh, I'm a little tired," Emily replies casually and Noah shakes her head with a grin.

"She went salsa dancing last night," Noah says as she looks over at Penelope. "We were having a night in with Chinese and movies when she interrupted to say she had to go dance the night away."

"Okay, less talking, more homework doing," Emily says as she pushes Noah's forehead away.

"Salsa dancing?" Penelope asks in awe. "Oh my God, like I need another reason to find you amazing."

Emily laughs and peers at her daughter, who rolls her eyes. She bumps her hip on Noah's to make her stop, but they laugh it off.

"This call for you from a Sean McAllister came to my phone accidentally. He sounded very hot and very important," Penelope says as she hands the woman a notecard with the number on it.

"Did he leave a message?" Emily asks.

"No, but it's from Paris. A Scottish guy calling from Paris," Penelope says as if she's talking about a daydream. "Know this, Emily, and you too, Mini Prentiss: even if he is ugly, Scottish guys are hot. It's the accent."