𝟏𝟎𝟗

"𝙶𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙱𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕒 𝕗𝕖𝕨 𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕜𝕤 𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣
𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘱 𝘢𝘤𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘺

     NOAH walks down the school hallway with her headphones on. She has been easing her way back into school; this is the first time she has made it several days in a row. Finals were three weeks ago and she was able to pull through. Not that anyone doubted her, she does not really have to study to ace a test.

The new semester has been going well. Noah has been adjusting to more demanding classes, seeing as the counselor recommends she find ways to challenge her education. Emily agreed and they signed her up for multiple honors-level classes. One thing that is great about that is that those are the classes Jess is in.

"Hi, gorgeous," The blonde says as she takes Noah's headphones off from behind.

The teen would normally cause a scene for someone doing that to her, but she knows that gentle touch anywhere.

"Hi," Noah giggles as she takes the headphones from Jess.

"You ready for class?"

"Mhm, I did all the homework," Noah says.

"I'm proud of you," Jess replies. "You've been doing a good job juggling everything."

The progress has stayed constant, but Jess still sees a slump in Noah. Every now and then, there is something that she cannot seem to get over. It usually causes her to skip school, lay in bed all day, and get behind on her work. Although, Noah always makes it up, thanks to Jess.

"Thanks," Noah says with a shrug.

"Did you wanna come to the bookstore after school?" Jess asks. "You haven't stopped by in a while. It's about time I beat you at chess again."

"Oh really?" Noah asks with a chuckle.

"You up for the challenge, Prentiss?"

"Are you?" Noah smirks as they walk into the classroom.

"Don't get too cocky," Jess warns her.

"Alright," Noah giggles as she takes her usual seat beside Jess in the middle of the rows. Everyone is talking over each other, a few people standing, and loud laughter bounces between the four walls.

"Alright, class!" The teacher announces. "Let's settle down and get started on the warm-up."

"Mrs. Banks loves warm-ups," Noah mutters to Jess with a shake of her head. "And they're not warm-ups, they're basically quizzes."

"It's not that bad," Jess quietly says back as she looks at the questions on the board.

"That's because you read the textbook," Noah replies.

"Everyone reads the textbook."

"You really have no idea what a normal high schooler does, do you?" Noah teases as she notices Jess is already on number two.

"Are you looking at my answers?" Jess asks with a slight gasp.

"One of us has to be the cheater," Noah says.

"I'd prefer neither of us to be a cheater," Jess mumbles as she continues writing.

"Not in that sense," Noah says. "I'd be an idiot to be a cheater in that way. Not with a beautiful, kind, loving girl who can give me all the answers to our history warm-ups."

"You're lucky you said beautiful," Jess smiles as she shares her answers with Noah.