𝟎𝟖𝟏

"𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝙳𝚘 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝙳𝚘 𝙸𝚝?"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘴' 𝘢𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵
𝕤𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

"WELL, GOOD MORNING," Emily says as she plops down the last few steps of the staircase.

"Good morning," Noah beams before turning back to her cartoons, her feet on the coffee table and her left hand holding a mug of coffee, "I thought you had work today,"

"I'm using one of my sick days," Emily says as she walks into the kitchen, Noah still being able to see her over the counter.

"Are you sick?" Noah asks, her voice a bit louder.

"No," Emily shrugs as she pours coffee into her favorite mug.

"Alright," Noah shrugs and turns back to the TV. Emily plops down beside her, propping her feet up on the coffee table as well.

"Why're you up so early?" Emily questions.

"Just a habit," Noah replies, "Don't worry, the terrible sleep schedule will probably start tomorrow."

"Oh yeah?" Emily giggles.

"Well, we're going to JJ's tonight, right?" Noah asks with excitement.

"Yes," Emily nods and watches the TV, "What is this anyway?"

"Ben 10," Noah replies.

"Ben 10," The mother repeats.  She was never into cartoons as a teen, let alone as a kid.  She wonders if Noah watches them now because Gia never let her.

"Do you want me to change it?" Noah asks.

"Hey, you were here first," Emily says as she holds her hands up.  Noah smiles and changes the channel, flicking through them until she finds something Emily will like.

"Hey, fold your laundry," Emily tells Noah as she drops the full basket of clean clothes at the teen's doorway.

"Noooo," Noah whines.

"Please," The mother says and points to the clothes before walking out of the bedroom.

Noah walks over to the basket, dragging it to her bed.  She dumps all the clothes on the comforter and stares at them for a moment.  She decides to pull out her phone to talk to someone while folding.  Noah puts the phone on speaker as it rings a couple times.

"Hey," Parker's voice sounds through the phone.

"Hey," Noah replies with a small smile, "How are you?  How's your mom?"

"She's okay, just resting a lot," Parker answers.  Noah can hear the frown in his voice.

"Well, that's good.  But how are you?" Noah repeats her initial question.

"I'm fine, really.  Just trying to keep up with everything," The boy sighs, "Since Dad's gone and Mom's resting, I kinda have to do everything around the house.  Cook dinner, do the dishes, clean up, laundry, and help my Mom."

"I'm sorry, I know that's a lot for a kid," Noah says.

"I don't know how you did it, Seattle," Parker admits.

"Did what?"

"Taking care of your adoptive mother and yourself," Parker replies, making Noah smile sadly to herself.  She would never wish the responsibilities she had as a kid on anyone else.