𝟎𝟖𝟐

"𝚃𝚛𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘴' 𝘢𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵
𝕤𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕟𝕠𝕠𝕟

"I'M WINNING," Noah smirks as she walks into the kitchen.

Noah has just gotten home from shopping in the city by herself. She took her bike to be sure Emily could not see what she was buying.

"Winning what?" Emily asks as she leans against the counter with a mug in hand.

"The prize for the best Secret Santa gift," Noah flaunts as she sits her shopping bags on the counter.

"Bub, it's not a competition," Emily reminds her daughter.

"I know, but my gift is really good." The teen reiterates as she opens the fridge to get a soda.

"Who do you have?" Emily question.

"Uh-uh!" Noah exclaims, "Secret," She reminds Emily, who nods her head with a smile.

"Thought you'd say it if I snuck the question in." The mother giggles and sits her empty mug in the sink.

"Have you bought yours yet?"

"Bought it last week," Emily replies.

"Last week?! We just picked the names last Monday!" Noah exclaims as she opens the can of Diet Coke.

"And I knew exactly what I was gonna get when I saw the name."

"Aww," Noah coos, "You have me, don't you?"

"Nope," Emily shakes her head, "You are difficult to shop for." She adds as she goes to sit on the couch.

"How?" Noah asks as she follows her mother.

"Well, you don't have any favorite stores, so gift cards are out. I've already gotten you every Nintendo game under the sun. We already decorated your room. Every time I see some sort of clothing I don't know if you'll like it or not—"

"I wear your clothes all the time," Noah shrugs, "Anything you like, I'd probably like too."

"Key word — probably," Emily chuckles.

"I already told you I don't need anything anyways," Noah sighs as she sinks into the couch cushions.

"That can't be true!" Emily exclaims, "You're a teenager — there has to be something."

"No," Noah shrugs, "I have a nice room, a phone, P's Nintendo, good clothes, Sergio, you — the list could go on."

"If you have such good clothes, why are your sticky fingers all over mine," Emily asks as she tickles Noah's side, sending the teen into a fit of giggles.

"I like your clothes," Noah notes after a couple deep breaths, "They're nicer and more adult-ish."

"What about another cat?" Emily asks.

"No," Noah asserts.

"Why not?"

"Because we have Serg!" Noah says as if the reason is obvious.

"And you love him, so why not another?"

"Because I don't want him to be jealous," Noah replies as Sergio crawls down the steps, "Speak of the devil! C'mere, buddy."

Emily watches Noah coax Sergio over to her easily. He is so drawn to her — probably because he has never had so much attention in his life. Emily loves Sergio and always has, but profiling is not the best job for leisure time at home. When Noah came along, he was enamored by the constant love.