𝟎𝟑𝟎

"𝚃𝚘𝚘 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘶

NOAH sits on the counter in the kitchen; picking at her nails and trying to find a thought in her blank mind.

JJ had tried everything to get Noah to speak. Even when Emily showed up, Noah's eyes were fixated on the ground and she did not move an inch.

"Don't worry about your reinstatement papers," Emily says as she catches Penelope staring at the man who disbarred her, "He'll sign them as soon as his hands stop shaking."

Penelope shows a small smile before turning to JJ. A woman who had never killed, but did so out of protection.

"Hey," Penelope says and walks over to JJ.

Emily watches the two of them talk, but is distracted by the sight of Noah behind JJ's shoulder. She makes her way over and stands next to the counter that the teen has positioned herself on top of.

"You were never supposed to see that," Emily says as she looks out at the bullpen.

"I saw my mother," Noah speaks up softly.

"What?" Emily puzzles as she turns to look at the teen.

"When they...were covering him." Noah mutters, "I saw my mother."

"He was a bad man—"

"What does that make her?" Noah asks.

"Stop," Emily says and puts her hand over Noah's to stop her from picking her nails.

"You do the same thing." The teen blurts as she looks down at Emily's nails.

"I know," Emily acknowledges her shared flaw, "But also stop dwelling on the past. It's over and she's gone. You don't have to keep seeing her."

"It's not my choice—"

"Of course it is." Emily interjects, "You have a new life. In a different town, at a different school with new friends and a different family...a different Mom."

Noah looks up at the use of the word that Emily has not spoken to her before.

"You don't have to see any of that anymore," Emily says as she locks eyes with the teen. The fierce blue eyes of the teen make her swell with happiness, pride, and contentment.

"What I do want to see is a hot shower and some food." Noah pleads with a begging expression.

"That I can agree on." Emily approves with a smile.

"Noah?" Penelope cautiously approaches the two.

"Hey, P." Noah sighs, "I hope you can sleep easy knowing he's gone."

"I can't unless you tell me you're not mad at me," Penelope mentions.

"Why would I be mad?" Noah asks.

"This is all my fault—"

"None of this is your fault." Emily cuts Penelope off.

"I'm fine. As long as everyone's okay, that's all I can ask for." Noah beams, "Seriously, you need to get some rest."

"And we need to get you some rest," Emily says and holds out a hand for the teen. Noah takes her hand and slides off the counter. She puts on her backpack and smiles at Penelope.

"Oh!" Noah exclaims, "Here," She says and fishes out Penelope's Nintendo from her bag.

"Keep it, munchkin." The blonde replies and smiles, "It brings you much more joy than it does to me."